1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Turnable Angular Frequency, Torque,Inertia

1. Mar 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Turntable at an angular speed of Wj. Consider it to be a thin solid cylinder of mass M and Radius R. A mass m nought falls and sticks to turntable at a distance r nought from center.

a) Find new Inertia, I
    b) Find new Angular Frequency, W
    c) Coefficient of static friction, µ s. What is the largest r so that mass does not slide off. Assume disk is spinning at W.

2. Relevant equations
    Newtons second law of motion for each of the respective bobs mass M, Moment of Inertia, angular frequency 1/2mw^2
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew the cylindrical turntable and made the equation. Because the equation for the moment of Inertia of cylinder is MR^2, the new Inertia with the additional bob of m, I got the new equation MR^2+mr^2. Could you help me find the angular frequency of this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Conservation of angular momentum.

4. Mar 30, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A you sure this is supposed to be a cylinder? Turntables usually look more like discs, and the fact that the blob is a different distance from the centre than the radius of the 'cylinder' reinforces that.

5. Mar 30, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How does that make a difference to the calculation? Moment's of inertia are the same... angular velocities are the same...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

A "disk" is a "thin solid cylinder"... isn't it?

6. Mar 30, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I missed the word "solid" and instead deduced that it was hollow from the incorrect expression in the OP:

7. Mar 30, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh fair enough.
    @upandup: how did you get on?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted