1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tutoring opportunity beneficial?

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    Hey guys and gals,

One of my professors enlisted my name in a tutoring program in order for me to work for the school as a math tutor, I will be paid generously however I want to know if it would be worth mentioning on an application for grad school. Or would it simply just be considered a job, and I should not even bother mentioning it.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2
    Sure, absolutely tutoring looks good on a resume for graduate school. Granted it is probably not the first thing they will look at, but it is beneficial. From personal experience, tutoring helped me a lot to solidify core concepts. Teaching concepts to others takes learning to a completely different level.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the response!

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4
    I tutor first and second level calculus and physics 6 hours a week, and I think it's a great way to earn a little cash while solidifying your knowledge of the basics. If you have the time, I'd say do it. I currently tutor groups of 5-8 students, so I think it has helped my communication and leadership skills as well.

I apply for grad schools next year, but I'm going to mention it if there's a spot. I won't write an essay about it, but I'll at least have it on my resume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook