Find the transient current in this circuit

No. Can you find I1? What is the voltage across R1? Look at the circuit. What must the voltage across R1 plus the voltage across the capacitor be equal to?
S is opened. R1 not connected? I1 =0 mA

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Correct. So now you know I1 and I2. To complete the picture, is the current in branch with the capacitor flowing clockwise or counterclockwise?

Correct. So now you know I1 and I2. To complete the picture, is the current in branch with the capacitor flowing clockwise or counterclockwise?
Since the result is negative . The direction is counter clockwise. Battery is clockwise

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Correct. Also note that the upper plate of the capacitor is positively charged and current flows from the positive to the negative plate.

Correct. Also note that the upper plate of the capacitor is positively charged and current flows from the positive to the negative plate.
Maybe you mean the bottow is positive, so current go from bottom (+) to upper (-) , counterclockwise

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Maybe you mean the bottow is positive, so current go from bottom (+) to upper (-) , counterclockwise
No, the top plate of the capacitor is connected to the positive terminal of the battery according to your diagram. So the top plate is at higher potential than the bottom plate. Current flows in the direction of I2 in your drawing and opposite to I3.

No, the top plate of the capacitor is connected to the positive terminal of the battery according to your diagram. So the top plate is at higher potential than the bottom plate. Current flows in the direction of I2 in your drawing and opposite to I3.
Ok. Thanks sir. You save me