Two battery hooked up in series, energy conversion

In summary: So rate is (V2-V1)V1/2r, as the OP has already written. The book answer seems to be missing a factor of 2. In summary, the problem asks for the rate at which electrical energy is converted to chemical energy in the smaller battery when two batteries with emf's of V_1 and V_2, respectively, and internal resistance r are connected together. The correct answer is (V_2-V_1)*V_1/(2r), as determined by the ideal voltage source V_1 dissipating energy at a rate of V_1*i, where i is the current determined to be (V_2-V_1)/2r. The book answer appears to
Helmholtz

Homework Statement

The positive terminals of two batteries with emf's of V_1 and V_2, respectively, are connected together. It is V_2>V_1. The circuit is completed by connecting the negative terminals. If each battery has an internal resistance r, what is the rate with which electrical energy is converted to chemical energy in the smaller battery?

Answer: (V_2-V_1)*V_1/r

Homework Equations

P=IV
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I was trying is that I=(V_2-V_1)/(2r) and then the voltage difference is V_1, so I was getting P= (V_2-V_1)*V_1/(2r), what am I doing wrong that I'm off back a factor of two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks right (official answer looks wrong), but your reasoning is not clear.
Helmholtz said:
...and then the voltage difference is V_1, so I was getting P= (V_2-V_1)*V_1/(2r)

Your expression for I is right. Think of these three things:
1) the energy source is the ideal portion of the real battery with emf of V_2.
2) the two internal resistors are sinking energy, actually removing energy from the circuit.
3) the ideal portion of the real battery emf of V_1 is also an energy sink but is storing energy.

Also the answer is the initial rate-- the steady state rate is zero.

I agree the book answer looks wrong.

I think your reasoning is fine but your explanation could be slightly better.

Perhaps point out that "the rate with which electrical energy is converted to chemical energy" is equivalent to the the power dissipated in the ideal voltage V_1.

I also think the OP's answer is right. Energy charging battery 1 is V1*i*t so rate is V1*i. But i = (V2-V1)/2r.

It seems like you are on the right track, but there may be a small error in your calculation. Let's break down the steps to solve this problem:

1. First, we need to determine the total voltage in the circuit. Since the batteries are connected in series, the total voltage is simply the sum of the individual voltages: V_total = V_1 + V_2.

2. Next, we need to calculate the total current in the circuit. Using Ohm's Law (V=IR), we can determine the current in the circuit as I = V_total / (2r). This is because the current will split evenly between the two batteries since they have the same internal resistance.

3. Now, we can use the power equation (P=IV) to determine the rate at which electrical energy is converted to chemical energy in the smaller battery. Since we are interested in the smaller battery, we will use the voltage V_1 and the current I to calculate the power: P = V_1 * I = V_1 * (V_total / (2r)).

4. Simplifying this expression, we get P = (V_1 * V_total) / (2r). And since V_total = V_1 + V_2, we can substitute this in to get P = (V_1 * (V_1 + V_2)) / (2r).

5. Finally, we can rearrange this equation to get P = (V_2 - V_1) * V_1 / (2r). This should give us the final answer as provided in the homework statement.

I hope this helps clarify the solution. It's important to carefully track the units and make sure they cancel out in each step to avoid any errors. Keep up the good work!

What does it mean to hook up batteries in series?

When batteries are hooked up in series, it means that the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of another battery, creating a chain. This increases the voltage output of the batteries, but the overall capacity remains the same.

How does hooking up batteries in series affect energy conversion?

Since hooking up batteries in series increases the voltage output, it can also increase the power output and efficiency of energy conversion. This is because the higher voltage can be used to power larger devices or overcome resistance in a circuit.

Can I mix different types of batteries when hooking them up in series?

No, it is not recommended to mix different types of batteries when hooking them up in series. This can lead to unequal charging and discharging rates, which can cause damage to the batteries and decrease their lifespan.

What happens if I hook up batteries in series with different levels of charge?

If batteries with different levels of charge are hooked up in series, the battery with the lower charge will discharge faster to match the higher charged battery. This can lead to shorter battery life and potential damage to the batteries.

Is there a limit to how many batteries I can hook up in series?

Yes, there is a limit to how many batteries can be hooked up in series. This limit is determined by the voltage and capacity of the batteries being used. It is important to check the specifications of the batteries and make sure they are compatible before hooking them up in series.