Two blocks attached by a string(dynamic)

In summary, the problem involves two blocks with masses of 4.0kg and 7.5kg connected by a light cord on a horizontal surface. The blocks are pulled by a force of 53N and have a coefficient of friction of 0.30. Using Newton's Second Law, the tension in the rope between the blocks is found to be 35N. The poster also asks for guidance on how to post multiple questions on the forum.
MikeMai
1. Homework Statement
Two blocks (m1=4.0kg, m2=7.5kg) are attached by a light cord pulled along a horizontal surface by a force of 53N as shown in the diagram. If the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface is 0.30, what is the tension in the rope between the two blocks.

M2 -------- M1 ------->Force applied

2. Homework Equations
Fnet= Ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Fnet=ma, on m1 i got Fapplied - T - Ff = ma
But i don't know how to find the acceleration. And i know there's two different frictions because of two different mass. So i don't know how to join them together and find Tension.

ps: I just joined this forum, What should i do if i have a a lot of questions or simply want someone to check over my assignment for me before I hand them in? (got like 20-30questions). I don't want to violate the rule so I am just wondering if there's a specific section to post or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about M2?
Apply Newton2 to M2 and then you'll have 2 equations to work with.

If you have other questions you want to post, then create a new thread for each one.

Hmm, ok so now i got this.

m1:
Fnet=m1a
Fapplied-T-Ff=m1a

m2:
Fnet=m2a
T-Ff=m2a
a=T-Ff/m2

plug a into m1's equation

Fapplied-T-Ff=m1(T0Ff/m2)
53-T-(0.30x4.0x9.8)=4.0(T-0.30x7.5x9.8/7.5)
53=1.53T
T=34.565N = 35N

If someone can check if i did the calculation right, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Yes, this is correct :)

I would suggest starting by drawing a free-body diagram for each block and labeling all the forces acting on them. This will help you visualize the problem and identify any missing information.

To find the acceleration, you can use the fact that the two blocks are connected by a string, so they will have the same acceleration. You can also use the fact that the net force on the system (both blocks) is equal to the force applied, which is 53N in this case.

To find the tension in the rope, you can use the equations you have already set up for each block and solve for the tension. Remember to consider the direction of the tension in each equation.

If you have multiple questions or want someone to check your assignment, I would suggest posting them in the appropriate section of the forum, such as the Homework & Coursework Questions section. Be sure to follow the guidelines and provide all the necessary information for others to help you effectively. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of studying two blocks attached by a string?

The purpose of studying two blocks attached by a string is to understand the principles of dynamics and how forces affect the motion of objects in a system. This concept is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and robotics.

2. How are the forces distributed in a system of two blocks attached by a string?

In a system of two blocks attached by a string, the forces are distributed between the two blocks and the string. The tension force in the string is equal to the weight of the blocks, while the normal force between the blocks depends on the angle of the string and the surface it is resting on.

3. How does the motion of one block affect the motion of the other block in a system of two blocks attached by a string?

The motion of one block affects the motion of the other block in a system of two blocks attached by a string through the tension force in the string. As one block moves, it exerts a force on the string, which is transmitted to the other block, causing it to move as well.

4. What factors affect the motion of a system of two blocks attached by a string?

The motion of a system of two blocks attached by a string is affected by various factors such as the mass of the blocks, the tension in the string, the angle of the string, and any external forces acting on the system. These factors can affect the acceleration, velocity, and direction of motion of the blocks.

5. How can the motion of a system of two blocks attached by a string be analyzed?

The motion of a system of two blocks attached by a string can be analyzed by applying Newton's laws of motion and using mathematical equations to calculate the forces and motion of the blocks. Computer simulations and experiments can also be used to study and analyze the motion of such systems.