1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two blocks connected by string with an angled force applied

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    A 3.5 kg block (m1) and a 1 kg block (m2) are connected by a string and are pushed across a horizontal surface by a force applied to the 1 kg block as shown below. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the blocks and the horizontal surface is 0.3. If the magnitude of vector F is 27 N, what is the tension in the string that connects the blocks? (θ = 20)

http://www.webassign.net/hrw8/6-p-096.gif

----
    Ok so my FBD say for block m1:
    x: t-fk1= m1a
    y: N1 - m1g = m1a(0)

which gives me N1 = 34.3

FBD for block m2:
    x:Fcos[the]-t-fk2=m2a
    y:n2-m2g-fsin[the]=m2a(0)

which gives me N2 = 13.904 ( = m2g+fsin20)

and fk1=10.29 and fk2 = 4.171 i know because I have the N's and the kinetic friction coefficients.

so with all that!! i did

T= fk1+m1a (from first eq for x of m1)

so i sub that into the m2's x equation

Fcos20-fk1-m1a-fk2=m2a
    12cos20-10.29-3.5a-4.171 = 1a
    a = -.7077

which is weird cause i didnt think there would be a negative acceleration.

Then i plugged the acceleration into the first eq for x on block 1
    T-fk1=m1a which gave me 7.81305 for T but thats apparently the wrong answer, so if anyone can help find what i did wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

I have another problem like this i'm stuck on and i think if i figure out this one i should be able to get the next one too. Thanks for lookin

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method and equations looks OK after a cursory look, but I note that the value of F is given as 27 and you used 12. 12 isn't enough to make the system move! Correct the typo and you should be good.

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3
    oh man haha, why would i do that! thanks for looking it over i got it right now!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?