Two bodies moving from point A

In summary, the conversation involves two bodies starting from the same point and moving at different rates. One body moves at a constant rate of 3 m/min in the first minute and increases its speed by 6 m each subsequent minute. The other body starts 5 minutes later and moves at a rate of 54 m/min in the first minute, increasing by 3 m each subsequent minute. The question asks at what point will both bodies have traveled the same distance, using the distance equation from physics (s=v0t+at^2/2). However, this equation does not apply in this situation because the increase in speed cannot be considered as acceleration.
fawk3s

Homework Statement

One body starts moving from point A so that in first min it goes 3 m/min, and in every next minute it goes 6 m more that in the minute before. Another body starts moving from point A 5 minutes later, going 54 m/min in the first minute and in every other minute 3 m more that in the minute before. After how many minutes have the bodies traveled the same distance? (Time starting after the second body starts its movement.)

Homework Equations

s=v0t+at2/2

where s - distance
v0 - initial velocity
a - acceleration
t - time

The Attempt at a Solution

I already know how you can solve this using arithmetic progression. But what I can't understand is why doesn't the distance equation from physics apply in this. It ought to!

So what I did was this:

s1=s2

s1=3(t+5)+6(t+5)2/2
s2=54t+3t2/2

3(t+5)+6(t+5)2/2=54t+3t2/2

t=1,5t2-21t+75,

which doesn't work out. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance,
fawk3s

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I figured it out now. I guess you can't take those "goes 6 m more in the next minute" as an acceleration.
This thinking made my head hurt :(

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the rate at which an object is changing its position in a particular direction.

2. How does acceleration affect the motion of two bodies from point A?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. If two bodies are moving from point A and one has a greater acceleration, it will cover more distance in the same amount of time compared to the other body.

3. Can two bodies moving from point A ever have the same speed but different velocities?

Yes, it is possible for two bodies to have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions. For example, if one body is moving north at 10 m/s and the other is moving east at 10 m/s, they have the same speed but different velocities.

4. What is the significance of the slope of a distance-time graph for two bodies moving from point A?

The slope of a distance-time graph for two bodies moving from point A represents the speed or velocity of the bodies. A steeper slope indicates a greater speed or velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a slower speed or velocity.

5. Can two bodies moving from point A have the same velocity but different accelerations?

Yes, it is possible for two bodies to have the same velocity but different accelerations. This can occur if one body is experiencing a constant acceleration, while the other is experiencing a changing acceleration due to external forces.