1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two charged spheres repel (attached to strings)

1. Sep 3, 2006 #1
    It's been awhile since I've had physics I, so this problem is giving me a headache.

Q) Two very small conducting spheres, each of a mass [itex] 1.0 \times 10^{-4}\,\,(kg) [/itex], are suspended at a common point by very thin nonconducting threads of a length [itex] 0.2 \,\,(m) [/itex]. A charge [itex] Q [/itex] is placed on each sphere. The electric force of repulsion separates the spheres, and an equilibrium is reached when the suspending threads make an angle of [itex] 10 \,\, (deg) [/itex]. Assuming a gravitational force of [itex] 9.80 \,\, (N/kg) [/itex] and a negligible mass for the threads, find [itex] Q [/itex].

My Work)
    We first will deal with:
    [tex] \vec F_{12} = \frac{\hat R_{12} k q_1 q_2}{R^2_{12}} [/tex]
    [tex] \sum \vec F_i = m \vec a [/tex]
    Since equilibrium is reached, [itex] \vec a = \vec 0 [/itex]. Thus,

[tex] \sum F_i = \vec T_2 + \vec F_G + \vec F_{12} = \vec 0 [/tex]

We now find the forces.

[tex] \vec F_G = -\hat y (9.8 \times 10^{-4}) [/tex]

Setting up the coordinate system we assume the orgin as at the point of interesection of the two threads. Thus, a vector that points to sphere-two is:
    [tex] \vec S_2 = \hat x(0.2 \sin 5^{\circ}) - \hat y(0.2 \cos 5^{\circ}) [/tex]

The vector quantities for coloumbs law are as follows:
    [tex] \vec R_{12} = \hat x (2(0.2\sin 5^{\circ})) [/tex]
    [tex] R = 0.4 \sin 5^{\circ} [/tex]
    [tex] \hat R = \hat x [/tex]

Thus, since the spheres have an equal charge
    [tex] \vec F_{12}=\frac{\hat x k Q^2}{0.16 \sin^2 5^{\circ}} [/tex]

Now I know the tension has to exert a force that holds the sphere in place, so gravity and the electric repulsion keep it from moving away. So do I just say that [itex] \vec T_2 = -\vec S_2 [/itex]?

I'm not really sure what to do. Is what I'm doing even correct?

thanks in advance :smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2
    I figured it out
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?