Two charges located along x. Find all values?

• Thread starter nawand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the question is about finding the values for an unknown charge located at "+3a" from the origin, given that the net electric field at the origin is 2Ke(Q/a2). The two possible values for the unknown charge are -9Q if the sign at the origin is "+", and 27Q if the sign at the origin is "-". The chosen sign at the origin will determine the sign and magnitude of the unknown charge.
nawand

Homework Statement

The first one has charge Q is at "-a" from origin the second is at "+3a" which is an unknown charge.What are the values for unknown charge if at the origin the net electric field they produce with magnitude 2Ke(Q/a2)

Homework Equations

Ke (Q/a2)i - Ke(q/9a2)=2Ke(Q/a2)i
if charge is negative
or
if the charge is positive
Ke (Q/a2)i - Ke(q/9a2)=-2Ke(Q/a2)i

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is how to choose signs for equation.
Attempt:
Assuming charge one is pointed towards the origin along x-axis so the sign will be "+i" and the second charge is pointed towards the origin in the negative x direction so tthe sign will be "-i".
Two possible values are at the origin: "+" or "-" 2Ke(Q/a2) .
If you choose "+" at the origin the answer will be -9Q. And for case chosen "-" sign in the origin, the answer will be 27Q so the particle has positive charge.
I wondering if this is the explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric force between two charges located along the x-axis?

The formula for calculating the electric force between two charges located along the x-axis is F = k(q1 x q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electric force between two charges located along the x-axis?

The direction of the electric force between two charges located along the x-axis is determined by the sign of the product of the two charges. If the charges have the same sign, the force is repulsive and points away from both charges. If the charges have opposite signs, the force is attractive and points towards the charges.

3. Can the electric force be negative between two charges located along the x-axis?

Yes, the electric force can be negative between two charges located along the x-axis. This occurs when the charges have opposite signs and the force is attractive, resulting in a negative value for the force.

4. How does the distance between the two charges affect the electric force along the x-axis?

The electric force between two charges located along the x-axis decreases as the distance between the charges increases. This relationship is described by the inverse-square law, where the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

5. Can the electric force between two charges located along the x-axis be zero?

Yes, the electric force between two charges located along the x-axis can be zero. This occurs when either one or both of the charges have a magnitude of zero, or when the charges are positioned at an infinite distance from each other.