1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two concentrations of calcium ions inside and outside the membrane

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1
    This isn't homework - just working through questions in my text. The question gives two concentrations of calcium ions inside and outside the membrane and asks to find the Nernst potential - ok no problem there.

Then it asks if the calcium ions are in equilibrium if the resting potential is 70mV. If they were in equilibrium, then

E = (RT/zF)(ln([outisde]/[inside])

But then, at calcium equilibrium, the ratio would be 1... ln(1) = 0 and there would be no potential... am I correct?

Thanks,

Mark

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Biophysics

I can't exactly figure out what you mean, but I wonder if you are mixing up a couple of ideas. At equilibrium, there is not equal concentrations; there is no current flow. The difference in concentration is balanced by the resting potential (which is the E in your equation). Don't forget calcium has 2 charges.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3

I still can't see how to figure out if the calcium is in equilibrium, I would only be able to get the ratio of the two concentrations... no?

mark

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I suppose that's true, the concentration *gradient* is what drives motion, not the absolute value of concentration. But again, I think I am not really understanding your original question. It almost seems as if you are treating the Nernst and resting potential to be the same (and I don't think they are).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook