Two conservation laws but how are they compatible

In summary, the conversation discusses a closed system with two objects and a perfect elastic collision between them. It explains how the conservation of momentum can be used to determine the velocity of the second object after the collision. However, the conversation also raises questions about the conservation of energy and how it may not be consistent with the results of the collision, as some energy may be converted into other forms. It is also noted that this scenario only applies to ideal objects and in real collisions, some energy may be lost to other forms.
bburn
Not a homework question, but I am trying to understand some stuff in Leibniz's 17th century "natural philosophy" which got me realizing that I don't have a clear grasp of my high school physics from 40 years ago.

Imagine a closed system consisting of 2 objects, and imagine a perfect elastic collision between them. The first object has a mass of 1 unit and is traveling at a velocity of 10 units (straight north). The second object weighs 2 units and is originally at rest. The first hits the second straight on and transfers all its motion to it. By the conservation of momentum, the second will travel at 5 units (same direction).

m1 * v1 = m2 * v2
1 * 10 = 2 * v2
v2 = 5

(I realize that velocity is a vector quantity, but if the direction is unchanged this can be ignored here, I think.)

Now, since the formula for Kinetic energy is one half mass times velocity squared, the kinetic energy of the system before the collision is (10 * 10) / 2 = 50 units, but the kinetic energy of the system after the collision is 2 * (5 * 5) / 2 = 25 units.

How is this consistent with the law of the conservation of energy? Has the energy been converted from kinetic energy to some other form? Or have I misunderstood something in my statement of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
bburn said:
How is this consistent with the law of the conservation of energy?
It's not. What this tells you is that the first object cannot transfer all its momentum to the second in an elastic collision.

(You have to satisfy both conservation laws, not just conservation of momentum.)

The thing is, you can't just assume that the first object will stop and that all the momentum will be transferred to the second object. In your case, both of the objects will be moving after the collision, and it's the law of conservation of energy that can tell you exactly how fast they will be moving.

That's only really true for ideal objects, by the way - in a real collision, some of the energy does get converted into other forms, like sound.

thank you

1. What are conservation laws?

Conservation laws are fundamental principles in physics that state that certain properties of a closed physical system, such as energy, momentum, and mass, remain constant over time.

2. What are the two conservation laws that are being discussed?

The two conservation laws being discussed are the conservation of energy and the conservation of momentum.

3. How are the conservation of energy and momentum compatible?

The conservation of energy and momentum are compatible because they are both based on the principle of symmetry in physical laws. This means that the total amount of energy and momentum in a closed system cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed or transferred between different forms.

4. Can you give an example of how these conservation laws work together?

A classic example of how the conservation of energy and momentum work together is a simple pendulum. As the pendulum swings back and forth, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, while the total energy and momentum of the system remain constant.

5. Why are these conservation laws important in science?

These conservation laws are important in science because they help us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. They are also essential in many areas of science, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, and have significant implications in fields such as engineering and astronomy.