Two-Degree-Of-Freedom Linear System: Eigenvalue problem

In summary: What stops you from substituting the values for omega back into the equations?You don't need to do that. The equations will still be correct.
Valeron21
I've found the characteristic equation of the system I'm trying to solve:
$$ω^{4}m_{1}m_{2}-k(m_{1}+2m_{2})ω^{2}+k^{2}=0$$

I now need to find the eigenfrequencies, i.e. the two positive roots of this equation, and then find the corresponding eigenvectors. I've been OK with other examples, but because of the different masses here, I don't see any obvious substitution or cancellation that will leave the eigenfrequencies in a manageable form.

I've been at this a while and I'm a bit lost.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Valeron21 said:
I've found the characteristic equation of the system I'm trying to solve:
$$ω^{4}m_{1}m_{2}-k(m_{1}+2m_{2})ω^{2}+k^{2}=0$$

I now need to find the eigenfrequencies, i.e. the two positive roots of this equation, and then find the corresponding eigenvectors. I've been OK with other examples, but because of the different masses here, I don't see any obvious substitution or cancellation that will leave the eigenfrequencies in a manageable form.

I've been at this a while and I'm a bit lost.

Thanks in advance.

If you substitute u=ω^2 then it's quadratic in u. Once you know u, you can find ω, right?

Dick said:
If you substitute u=ω^2 then it's quadratic in u. Once you know u, you can find ω, right?
Sorry. The characteristic equation isn't really the problem - I should have worded that better - it's how I use what will be pretty horrible roots to find the corresponding eigenvectors that I'm having trouble with.

EDIT: $$(k-ω_{i}^{2}m)u_{i}=0$$
is what I would usually sub the values of ω into to find the eigenvectors, where k is the stiffness matrix, m is the mass matrix and u the eigenvector.

Last edited:
From your characteristic equation it seems that you have only one k and two masses. Is that correct?

nasu said:
From your characteristic equation it seems that you have only one k and two masses. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct. Both springs in the system have the same stiffness constant, k.

So how does it look like? You have two masses and two springs but how do you couple them?
I am just curios.
For the solution, it does not have to simplify to a simple expression. The fact that it does not do not implies that the solution is wrong.
Once you find a solution for frequency, you plug it in one of the equations and find the ratio of the amplitudes for that mode. You may want a numerical solution, in order to "see" how does the mode look like.

nasu said:
So how does it look like? You have two masses and two springs but how do you couple them?
I am just curios.
For the solution, it does not have to simplify to a simple expression. The fact that it does not do not implies that the solution is wrong.
Once you find a solution for frequency, you plug it in one of the equations and find the ratio of the amplitudes for that mode. You may want a numerical solution, in order to "see" how does the mode look like.
DRkawiX.png

Hmm, maybe there's something wrong in how I'm approaching this?

I've always previously, when working with 2.D.O.F. systems, assumed a solution of the form:

$$ \underline{X}={U}[A_{}cos(ω_{}t)+B_{}sin(ω_{}t)]$$

then through a process of differentiation and substitution obtained this equation:
$$( \underline{k}-ω^{2} \underline{m}) \underline{X}=0$$

then, for a non-trivial solution, the det =/=0, etc. And here I am now with the roots of the characteristic equation.

Previously, I've always been able to sub the values of ω into this:
$$(\underline{k}-ω_{i}^{2}\underline{m})\underline{u}_{i}=0$$

there's always been a nice cancellation and I've been able to use an arbitrary value to find the ratio, as you say, between the two elements in the eigenvector. But here, with horrible roots, I'm not sure what to do. And I'm not sure which equations you're referring to.

Sorry if I'm being stupid.

The method is OK.
It's just that you don't have to obtain a nice solution. In the textbook examples they pick-up parameters to get a simple result, as an example.

I mean the equations which you wrote in matrix format.
Maybe you are too formal about it. You don't really need the matrix form for two equations.
What stops you from substituting the values for omega back into the equations?

1. What is a two-degree-of-freedom linear system?

A two-degree-of-freedom linear system is a dynamic system that has two independent variables, typically denoted as x and y, which can vary over time. It is a mathematical model used to analyze the behavior and response of physical systems, such as mechanical or electrical systems.

2. What is the eigenvalue problem in a two-degree-of-freedom linear system?

The eigenvalue problem in a two-degree-of-freedom linear system involves finding the values of the system's eigenvalues, which are special numbers that represent the system's natural frequencies. These eigenvalues can provide important insights into the system's stability, response, and behavior.

3. How are eigenvalues calculated in a two-degree-of-freedom linear system?

Eigenvalues in a two-degree-of-freedom linear system can be calculated using various methods such as the characteristic equation, the eigenvalue problem, or numerical methods like the Power Method or the QR Algorithm. These methods involve solving a set of equations and finding the roots of a characteristic polynomial to determine the eigenvalues.

4. What is the significance of eigenvalues in a two-degree-of-freedom linear system?

The eigenvalues in a two-degree-of-freedom linear system have significant implications in understanding the system's behavior, stability, and response. They can determine whether the system is stable or unstable, provide insights into the system's natural frequencies, and help in designing control systems to improve the system's performance.

5. What factors can affect the eigenvalues in a two-degree-of-freedom linear system?

The eigenvalues in a two-degree-of-freedom linear system can be affected by various factors such as changes in the system's parameters, boundary conditions, and external inputs. Additionally, the initial conditions and the type of excitation can also impact the eigenvalues. It is essential to understand these factors to accurately analyze and predict the system's behavior.