Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a partial differential equation using Fourier transforms and boundary conditions. A solution is obtained by using the Fourier sine transform and solving for the Fourier coefficients with the given boundary conditions. The use of the boundary condition BC3 is explained, and the use of the Fourier cosine transform is suggested for a different set of boundary conditions. The conversation also raises questions about determining the best approach for solving these types of problems and whether double Fourier transforms can be used.
barefeet

Homework Statement

Consider
[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = k\left( \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2} \right) \\
0<x<L\\
y>0 [/tex]
subject to the initial condition
IC: [itex] u(x,y,0) = f(x,y) [/itex]

And solve with the following boundary conditions:
BC1: [itex] \quad u(0,y,t) = 0 [/itex]
BC2: [itex] \quad u(L,y,t) = 0[/itex]
BC3: [itex] \quad u(x,0,t) = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

Already stated above:

The Attempt at a Solution

A solution is given as follows:
You can determine the Fourier sine transform in y:
[tex] \frac{\partial \overline{U}}{\partial t} = k\left( \frac{\partial^2 \overline{U}}{\partial x^2} - \omega^2 \overline{U} \right) [/tex]
Then this eqaution can be solved with Fourier sine series using BC1 and BC2:
[tex] \overline{U} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) [/tex]
And the previous equation can be used to get an expression for [itex] A_n [/itex]:
[tex] \frac{\partial A_n}{\partial t} = -kA_n[({\frac{n\pi}{L}}^2 + \omega^2] \\
A_n(\omega,t) = A_n(\omega,0) e^{-kt[({\frac{n\pi}{L}}^2 + \omega^2]} [/tex]
With the initial condition IC1 you can get:
[tex] \overline{U}(x,\omega,0) = F(x,\omega) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n(\omega,0) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) \\
A_n(\omega,0) = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L F(x,\omega) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) dx [/tex]

And now you can use the inverse Fourier sine transform to get [itex] u(x,y,t) [/itex]:
[tex] u(x,y,t) = \int_0^\infty \overline{U}(x,\omega,t) sin(\omega y) d\omega [/tex]
With [itex] \overline{U}(x,\omega,t) [/itex]:
[tex] \overline{U}(x,\omega,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n(\omega,t) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) [/tex]
With [itex] A_n(\omega,t) [/itex]:
[tex] A_n(\omega,t) = A_n(\omega,0) e^{-kt[({\frac{n\pi}{L}}^2 + \omega^2]} [/tex]
With [itex] A_n(\omega,0) [/itex]:
[tex] A_n(\omega,0) = \frac{2}{L} \int_0^L F(x,\omega) sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L}) dx [/tex]
With [itex] F(x,\omega) [/itex]:
[tex] F(x,\omega) = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^\infty f(x,y) sin(\omega y) dy [/tex]I think I understand the solution, but the problem is, I don't see how BC3 comes into play. I now have to do solve the same problem but with these conditions:
IC: [itex] u(x,y,0) = f(x,y) [/itex]
BC1: [itex] \quad u(0,y,t) = 0 [/itex]
BC2: [itex] \quad u(L,y,t) = 0[/itex]
BC3: [itex] \quad \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}(x,0,t) = 0[/itex]

but in the derivation of the previous problem I only followed how IC1, BC1 and BC2 were used to derive the solution. How does BC3 matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert on transforms, but I notice that your equation for the inverse is such that if you substitute y=0 on the right the integral will always be zero. It follows that the way ##\bar U## is defined encapsulates the assumption that u(x,0, t) = 0. How is it defined?

Thanks, I just noticed also that the definition of the Fourier sine transform has a boundary term in it:
[tex] S[\frac{d^2 f}{d x^2}] = \frac{2}{\pi} \omega f(0) - \omega^2 F(\omega) [/tex]
And this of course explains the use of BC3.
In my second case then it would be preferrable to use the Fourier cosine transform defined as:
[tex] C[\frac{d^2 f}{d x^2}] = -\frac{2}{\pi} \frac{df}{dx}(0) - \omega^2 F(\omega) [/tex]
And the rest would more or less follow just like the first problem

In general, how would you decide what the best approach is to tackle problems like these, whether to use sine or cosine transform and whether in x or y etc.? What BC's would make a certain approach easy? Do the IC's matter? Does the region/domain matter?
Could for example a double Fourier Transform be used in any of these two problems or would you run into practical problems?
Maybe some others who know Fourier Transforms well can shed some light on this as well.

On a side note, I said in the first post that with [itex] \overline{U}(x,\omega,t) [/itex] being:
[tex] \overline{U}(x,\omega,t) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty A_n(\omega,t) sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}x) [/tex]
you can get a differential equation for [itex] A_n(\omega,t) [/itex]:
[tex] \frac{\partial A_n(\omega,t)}{\partial t} = -k A_n [ (\frac{n \pi}{L})^2 +\omega^2 ] [/tex]
But how do you get from the sum:
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\partial A_n(\omega,t)}{\partial t} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty -k A_n [ (\frac{n \pi}{L})^2 +\omega^2 ] [/tex]
to a term by term equation? I know it should be correct, but I forgot the proper way to prove that.

Never mind the last post, I just realized you have to use the orthogonality of the sine functions.
But I haven't figured out a method for my general question:
barefeet said:
In general, how would you decide what the best approach is to tackle problems like these, whether to use sine or cosine transform and whether in x or y etc.? What BC's would make a certain approach easy? Do the IC's matter? Does the region/domain matter?
Could for example a double Fourier Transform be used in any of these two problems or would you run into practical problems?

1. What is the Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip?

The Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip is a mathematical model that describes the transfer of heat in a two-dimensional space, specifically in a semi-infinite strip. It takes into account the heat sources, boundary conditions, and thermal diffusivity of the material.

2. What are the variables in the Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip?

The variables in the Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip include time (t), position along the x-axis (x), position along the y-axis (y), and temperature (u). These variables are used to solve the equation and determine the temperature distribution over time and space.

3. How is the Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip solved?

The Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip is typically solved using numerical methods, such as the finite difference method. This involves discretizing the domain into a grid and iteratively solving the equation at each point on the grid until a stable solution is reached.

4. What are the applications of the Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip?

The Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip has many practical applications, including predicting temperature distributions in materials during manufacturing processes, analyzing heat transfer in buildings and structures, and understanding thermal behavior in geothermal systems.

5. How does the Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip differ from the One dimensional Heat equation?

The main difference between the Two dimensional Heat equation of a semi infinite strip and the One dimensional Heat equation is the number of dimensions being considered. The One dimensional Heat equation only takes into account heat transfer in one direction, while the Two dimensional Heat equation considers heat transfer in two directions. This makes the Two dimensional equation more complex and requires different methods for solving it.