Two Dimensional Kinematics Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student working on a projectile motion lab for two-dimensional kinematics. They have completed the procedure and have 3 graphs with different slopes. The student needs to find ay, vx, v0y, and the angle, but is unsure how to do so without a specific time. They mention various equations such as ax(t) = 0 and y(t) = y_0+v_{y0}t+\frac{1}{2}a_y t^2, and also request suggestions on how to obtain the missing components.
Jetsgirl

Homework Statement

Hi, I am doing a projectile motion lab for two dimensional kinematics. After completing the procedure of the lab, I have 3 graphs where

Y vs. X has a slope of y = -0.0037x2 + 0.9169x + 0.2684

X vs. T has a slope of y = 373.95x + 3.4011

Y vs. T has a slope of y = -505.11x2 + 328.29x + 3.5949

From the graphs, I have to figure out

ay (cm/s^2)
vx (cm/s)
v0y (cm/s)
angle (degrees)

Homework Equations

ax (t) = 0
ay (t) = -g
vx (t) = v0x
vy (t) = voy + ayt

x(t) = x0+v0xt
y(t) = y0+v0yt+1/2ayt^2

Change in angle = (vy^2*change in vs^2 + vx^2 + change in vy^2)/(vx^2 + vy^2) * (180/pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

vx = 373.95 +/- 3.4011

But for voy, and ay, the equations say that I need to use a specific time to find the answer, which I do not have according to the graphs.

Any suggestions on how to obtain the other two (ay, v0y) would be greatly appreciated.
From there I know I can find the angle by plugging all the components into the "change in angle" equation given above.

Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
You gave the equation for y(t):
[tex]y(t) = y_0+v_{y0}t+\frac{1}{2}a_y t^2[/tex]
You also said that the equation you found for y(t) was (I assumed those should have been 't's not 'x's):
[tex]y = -505.11t^2 + 328.29t + 3.5949[/tex]
So how can you find v0y and ay?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. It can be described in two dimensions, with one dimension being the horizontal motion and the other being the vertical motion.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Regular motion refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while projectile motion involves both horizontal and vertical components. In projectile motion, the object follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These factors can be used to calculate the object's position at any given time during its flight.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is determined by its initial velocity and angle of launch. It occurs at the peak of its trajectory when the vertical velocity is zero. This height can be calculated using the formula: H = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force that opposes the motion of the object. The extent of this effect depends on the shape, size, and speed of the object.