1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Fairly Basic Thermodynamics Questions

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    Please help! I need these done by wednesday and for the life of me i cannot seem to get the correct answer.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much ice must melt at 0 deg. C to gain 5 g of mass?

2. Relevant equations
    I cannot seem to find many equations that relate thermodynamics and mass, maybe that is my biggest problem... The only one i could find was

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the latent heat of fusion, but i do not know Q. I tried dividing both sides by L, giving me Q/L=m, but i wasn't sure where to go from there.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the entropy change in isotermal transformation of ideal gas at the temperature of 27.5 deg. C if work done by the gas is 3.5 J.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    since Tb/Ta=1, Cv*ln(Tb/Ta) is reduced to zero, leaving us with
    i then attempted to use the ideal gas law combined with dW=pdV but i found myself running in circles trying to figure out what to do with p and n and trying to find Vb and Va at the same time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2007 #2
    anyone? please this is very important and it is due at 12:00 midnight. i've tried really hard and i will continue to try but if anyone can set me in the right direction i will greatly appreciate it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?