Two fixed charges, find (x,y) coords of third particle.

In summary, the net electrostatic force on particle 3 from particles 1 and 2 will be zero when particle 3 is located at a distance of (L sqrt(3)/3)/(1+ sqrt(3)/3) from particle 1 along the x axis. This means that the x coordinate of particle 3 is (L sqrt(3)/3)/(1+ sqrt(3)/3) and the y coordinate is 0.
kspabo

Homework Statement

In the figure particle 1 of charge q1 (at origin) and particle 2 of charge q2 = 3q1, are held at separation L on an x axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero, what must be the (a)x and (b)y coordinates of particle 3?

Homework Equations

E = k q1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the third particle will be held at equilibrium between the two particles (so y = 0), so the forces on it from q1 and q2 will cancel out. From this idea we get:

E13 - E23 = 0
E13 = E23

We plug in our relevant equation:

k q1q3/r2 = k q2q3/(L-r)2

Plug in and cancel like terms:

k q1q3/r2 = k 3q1q3/(L-r)2
q1/r2 = 3q1/(L-r)2
1/r2 = 2q1/(L-r)2

Attempt to isolate for r:

(L-r)/r = sqrt(2q1)And this is where I get stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kspabo said:
Plug in and cancel like terms:

1/r2 = 2q1(L-r)2
You did not do this step correctly.

Orodruin said:
You did not do this step correctly.
I believe I just accidentally left out the division sign. Let me write it out long way just to make sure:

q1/r2 = 3q1/(L-r)2
1/r2 = 2q1/(L-r)2

The last step is still not correct so you need to repeat arithmetic rules. The different sides of the last equation are even dimensionally inconsistent. The left side has dimension length^-2 while the right has dimension charge length^-2.

Orodruin said:
The last step is still not correct so you need to repeat arithmetic rules. The different sides of the last equation are even dimensionally inconsistent. The left side has dimension length^-2 while the right has dimension charge length^-2.
Oh wow, I see what you're talking about. I blame my long summer break for this silly arithmetic error. Ok, so I fixed my work and have arrived at:

q1/r2 = 3q1/(L-r)2
1/r2 = 3/(L-r)2
sqrt(1/3) = sqrt(r2/(L-r)2)
sqrt(1/3) = r/(L-r)
L(sqrt(1/3) + 1)= r

So after going through this I just realized my arithmetic is off again... let me figure this out.

Last edited:
EDIT: My work was wrong and this post was pointless. Currently working it out again.

EDIT2: I finally got the answer. I'll post my work for future people that have this same question.

sqrt(3)/3 = r/(L-r)
L sqrt(3)/3 - r sqrt(3)/3 = r
L sqrt(3)/3 = r (1+ sqrt(3)/3)
r = (L sqrt(3)/3)/(1+ sqrt(3)/3)

Last edited:

1. How do I find the coordinates of a third particle between two fixed charges?

The coordinates of the third particle can be found using the formula: x = (q1x1 + q2x2)/q3 and y = (q1y1 + q2y2)/q3, where q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two fixed charges, x1 and y1 are their respective x and y coordinates, and q3 is the magnitude of the third particle.

2. What is the significance of finding the coordinates of a third particle between two fixed charges?

Finding the coordinates of a third particle between two fixed charges allows us to determine the equilibrium point of the system. This is where the electrostatic forces on all three particles are balanced, and the system is in a stable state.

3. Can the coordinates of a third particle be outside the range of the fixed charges?

Yes, the coordinates of a third particle can be outside the range of the fixed charges. This means that the third particle will experience a net force in the direction of the nearest fixed charge, and will move towards it until it reaches equilibrium.

4. How do the charges and distances between the particles affect the coordinates of the third particle?

The coordinates of the third particle are affected by the magnitudes of the charges and the distances between them. The greater the charge of the fixed charges, the closer the third particle will be to them. The distance between the fixed charges also plays a role, as the closer they are, the stronger the electrostatic force on the third particle will be.

5. Is there a limit to the number of particles that can be between two fixed charges?

No, there is no limit to the number of particles that can be between two fixed charges. However, as more particles are added, the equilibrium point may become unstable, and the system may require constant adjustments to maintain balance.