Two forces held by pulley's on an inclined plane.

In summary: If divide by the gsin{\theta_r} - a, it would make it positive like so...\LARGEM_r(gsin{\theta_r} - a) = M_lgsin{\theta_l} + M_la
NemoMnemosyne

Homework Statement

Suppose the angles on an inclined plane are 60*(left-hand side) and 20* (right-hand side). If the left-hand mass is 2.1 kg, what should the right-hand mass be so that it accelerates downslope at 0.64 m/s/s?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a=.64
Ml (left-side) = 2.1kg
Mr (right-side) = ?
θl = 60*
θr = 20*

Ml -> F = Mla -> T - Mlgsinθl = Mla
Mr -> F = Mra -> Mrgsinθr - T = Mra

I understand that since acceleration is the same then Mla + Mra = (Ml + Mr)a

I also know that T = Mla + Mlgsinθl

So I tried to sub in for T -> Mrgsinθr - Mla + Mlgsinθl = Mra but this doesn't make any sense to me. No matter how I look at it I can't seem to isolate Mr by itself. This is causing me considerable frustration.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming the pulley is negligible? I would suggest drawing a picture and displaying the forces acting on the system.

Liquidxlax said:
I'm assuming the pulley is negligible? I would suggest drawing a picture and displaying the forces acting on the system.

Yes the pulley is negligible, as is the rope. I drew a picture and free-body diagram and labeled all the forces accordingly.

I think my issue here is figuring out how to do the algebra correctly to end up with the Mass of the right-hand side by itself so I can solve the problem. Anywhere in my steps that you see an error?

Have you tried:
Mrgsinθr - Mla + Mlgsinθl = Mra
[itex] \large M_r = \frac{M_l(a+g\sin{\theta_l})}{g\sin{\theta_r}+a} [/itex]?

danielakkerma said:
Have you tried:

[itex] \large M_r = \frac{M_l(a+g\sin{\theta_l})}{g\sin{\theta_r}+a} [/itex]?

You think I could get you to run through how you managed to get that? I still just can't see how you managed to get Mr by itself. I can tell there's some factoring in there somewhere but I guess I'm just not making the right calculations.

It's very simple, and there's no secret to it.
It always helps to arrange the needed elements on one side, and the rest, the known ones on the other.
So we would get,
[itex]
\LARGE
M_rg\sin{\theta_r} + M_ra = M_lgsin{\theta_l}+M_la
[/itex]
All that's left is to extract M_r by removing it as a common factor/coefficient, and dividng by the remainder, namely, g sin(theta_r)+a.
Hope that's clear enough,
Daniel
P.S
I might help if you pointed exactly which step you don't follow...

danielakkerma said:
It's very simple, and there's no secret to it.
It always helps to arrange the needed elements on one side, and the rest, the known ones on the other.
So we would get,
[itex]
\LARGE
M_rg\sin{\theta_r} + M_ra = M_lgsin{\theta_l}+M_la
[/itex]
All that's left is to extract M_r by removing it as a common factor/coefficient, and dividng by the remainder, namely, g sin(theta_r)+a.
Hope that's clear enough,
Daniel
P.S
I might help if you pointed exactly which step you don't follow...

I seem to be having trouble figuring out how you get a positives on both sides of the equation above. I managed to get there but I had a negative the left side of it, (right-hand side of the problem).

I'll write down all my steps...

[itex]
\LARGE
T - M_lgsin{\theta_l} = M_la
[/itex]
[itex]
\LARGE
M_rgsin{\theta_r} - T = M_ra
[/itex]
Adding both equations, the tensions cancel leaving...

[itex]
\LARGE
M_rgsin{\theta_r} - M_lgsin{\theta_l} = M_la + M_ra
[/itex]

I subtracted the M_ra from the right-side of the equation, and added M_lgsin(theta_l) to get

[itex]
\LARGE
M_rgsin{\theta_r} - M_ra = M_lgsin{\theta_l} + M_la
[/itex]

I just don't see how you ended up with the equation you posted, with positives on both sides.

Hi,
You're positively right! there's a minus there, but that shouldn't matter. Anyway, can you extract m_r now?

danielakkerma said:
Hi,
You're positively right! there's a minus there, but that shouldn't matter. Anyway, can you extract m_r now?

Yes I can. I ended up getting...

[itex]
\LARGE
M_r(gsin{\theta_r} - a) = M_lgsin{\theta_l} + M_la
[/itex]

If divide by the
[itex]
gsin{\theta_r} - a
[/itex]

the answer still comes out negative for me. Am I right in thinking that if I reversed the order of...
[itex]
gsin{\theta_r} - a
[/itex]

it would make it positive like so...

[itex]
a + gsin{\theta_r}
[/itex]

It can't possibly be negative!
With your given data, g*sin(theta_r) is larger(much!) than a.
Check your arithmatics...

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force, making it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How do two forces held by pulleys on an inclined plane affect each other?

Two forces held by pulleys on an inclined plane have a direct relationship with each other. As one force increases, the other force also increases. This is known as a coupled system, where the forces are directly dependent on each other.

3. What are the advantages of using pulleys on an inclined plane?

Using pulleys on an inclined plane allows for easy lifting and moving of heavy objects. The pulleys distribute the force required to lift the object, making it easier for the user. It also allows for a more controlled and precise movement of the object.

4. Can the angle of the inclined plane affect the forces held by pulleys?

Yes, the angle of the inclined plane can affect the forces held by pulleys. The steeper the angle, the more the forces will be increased. This is due to the increased distance the object needs to be lifted and the increased amount of force required to overcome gravity.

5. Are there any limitations to using pulleys on an inclined plane?

One limitation of using pulleys on an inclined plane is that the system is not 100% efficient. This means that some of the force applied to the pulleys is lost due to friction and other factors. Additionally, the weight of the pulleys and ropes can also add additional weight and affect the overall force required to lift the object.