Two great fallacies in science

In summary: However, it's important to recognize that the version of history that is commonly taught is often simplified and leaves out important details. It's important for individuals to do their own research and not just accept what is presented to them. In summary, the conversation discusses two instances where popular versions of history do not accurately reflect the full story. The first is the misconception that Galileo was the first to discover that all bodies fall at the same rate, when in fact he read it in Lucretius' work and demonstrated it experimentally. The second is the misattribution of "survival of the fittest" to Darwin, when it was actually coined by Herbert Spencer. This highlights the importance of doing one's own research and not just accepting simplified
Keith Mackie
The first is taught universally (as far as I can make out) at school and university, that Galileo discovered that all bodies (at least in vacuum) fall at the same rate. He didn't. He read it in Lucretius' great work of Roman science "De Rerum Natura" published about 60 BC. Lucretius followed Epicurean atomic theory and derived the fact from first principles. Since he was aware that different bodies eg feather and stone, fall at different rates, he went on to recognise air resistance. I believe that Galileo's contribution was to demonstrate the fact experimentally (not using the Tower of Pisa) but by using the inclined plane to slow down gravity. I've never been able to find a good reference (in English) to Galileo's experimental work to confirm this.

The second is Darwin and "survival of the fittest" (SoF). Darwin's theory was about "natural selection" (NS) about which he was delightfully vague - and correctly so given the state of science in his day - and not about SoF. I'm pleased to see that modern texts are moving away from reference to SoF although "fitness" seems more intractable to removal. To put it crudely, in Heisenbergian terms, NS is to Speciation what quantum theory is to classical physics.

SoF was invented by a railway engineer turned philosopher, Herbert Spencer. To be fair, most of his work seems to have been quite sensible. When he read "Origins" he immediately sided with Huxley as one of Darwin's great defenders and attempted to explain NS with SoF drawing on his deterministic railway engineering experience. He got it hopelessly wrong and has misled the world ever since. There is no such thing as "survival of the fittest" anywhere - except perhaps in sorting machines. In writing this, as an engineer, I like to think that "it takes one to know one".

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I'm not sure I get your point. Are you saying that the history of science is more complicated than is taught at first pass in school? Sure it is. So what? Comparatively little time is spent on hisory lessons: most is spent learning the theories themselves, since the history isn't really all that imporant.

Likes cabraham and davenn
I agree with Russ.

Herbert Spencer wrote about evolution before Darwin but he wrote about survival of the fittest after reading Darwin's Origin of Species. At the end of the day it's the concept that matters most not who invented it. Darwin probably gets more attention because he wrote for the general public, something he has in common with Hawking.

Surprised you didn't mention the debate over who was first to fly. It's possible to have very long heated arguments on that subject but it depends entirely on your definition of flight.

Likes davenn
These are not fallacies "in science" but rather in history of science, as told in popular presentations.
There are many other examples in history, and not necessary related to science.

Likes davenn

1. What are the two great fallacies in science?

The two great fallacies in science are the appeal to authority fallacy and the confirmation bias fallacy.

2. How does the appeal to authority fallacy affect scientific research?

The appeal to authority fallacy occurs when someone believes something to be true simply because an authority figure or expert says it is. This can lead to accepting false or unproven claims without proper evidence or critical thinking, which can hinder the progress of scientific research and discovery.

3. What is confirmation bias and why is it a fallacy in science?

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, and remember information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses. In science, this can lead to researchers only seeking out evidence that supports their ideas and ignoring conflicting evidence, which can result in biased and flawed conclusions.

4. How can scientists avoid falling into the trap of these fallacies?

To avoid the appeal to authority fallacy, scientists should always critically evaluate the evidence and arguments presented, regardless of the source. To avoid confirmation bias, scientists should actively seek out and consider all evidence, even if it goes against their initial beliefs or hypotheses. Collaboration and peer review can also help to prevent these fallacies in scientific research.

5. What are the consequences of these fallacies in scientific research?

The consequences of these fallacies in scientific research can include hindering progress and innovation, promoting misinformation and false beliefs, and damaging the credibility of science and scientific findings. It is important for scientists to be aware of these fallacies and take steps to avoid them in their research.