1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two indentical beads w/ mass m and charge q in hemispherical

Tags:
  1. Jan 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical beads each have a mass m and charge q. When placed in a hemispherical bowl of radius R with frictionless, nonconducting walls, the beads move, and at equilibrium, they are a distance d apart (see figure below). Determine the charge q on each bead.

2. Relevant equations
    Fe = (Ke*q^2)/d^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a free body diagram first. Since the beads are at equilibrium, the net force must be zero.
    So, considering the electric force, the gravitational force, and the normal force of the hemisphere (where x is the angle between R and d) I got..

Fx = Ncos(x) - Fe = 0
    Fy = Nsin(x) - mg = 0

Ncos(x) = Fe
    Nsin(x) = mg

N = mg/sin(x)
    (mg/sin(x))*cos(x) = (Ke*q^2)/d^2
    d^2*(mg/sin(x))*cos(x) = Ke * q^2
    q = sqrt((d^2 * (mg/sin(x)) * cos(x))/ Ke)

Now, I've seen problems similar to this where d is equal to R, giving an equilateral triangle, however that is not the case in this problem. I don't know how to eradicate the sin and cos of x or how to put x into terms of R and D.
    Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Use a bit of geometry to express sin(x), cos(x) in terms of d and R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted