Two infinite sheets with charges

In summary, the problem involves two infinite-plane non-conducting sheets with uniform surface charge p1 = 12.30 uC/m2 and p2 = -3.30 uC/m2, parallel to each other and d = 0.615 m apart. The electric field between the sheets can be calculated using the equation σ/2ε of sheet 1 + σ/2ε of sheet 2= E, but minding the signs and directions of the fields. The final answer is 880957 N/C.
BadSkittles
Two infinite-plane non-conducting, thin sheets of uniform surface charge p1 = 12.30 uC/m2 and p2 = -3.30 uC/m2) are parallel to each other and d = 0.615 m apart. What is the electric field between the sheets? (Note: the field is positive if it is parallel to the vector x).

Hi, I've tried this problem through the equation

σ/2ε of sheet 1 + σ/2ε of sheet 2= E

but that didnt seem to work. I also thought that maybe all the electric field lines were concentrated in the area between the two sheets since opposite charges attract. So i multiplied by two and that didnt work. Anyone got a clue to this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

I think you have the right idea. Since you didn't show the details of your calculation, it's hard to tell where you made a mistake. Could be an error associated with the signs or directions of the electric fields from the plates.

If you are at a point between the plates, does the electric field, E2, at that point from the negatively charged plate point in the same direction or the opposite direction as the field E1 from the positive plate?

Likes 1 person
The field from the two sheets is a vectorial sum of each sheet's field. The equation you have is generally correct, but, depending on how exactly the sheets are positioned along the x-axis (and I assume it is perpendicular to both sheets), you may have to mind the signs. That, and a numerical error, are all that I think could go wrong here.

Likes 1 person
Wouldn't you just add the absolute value of both electric fields since the electric fields from both of the plates are headed towards the same direction?

I got 880957 N/C as my answer

sorry, solved... direction mattered

BadSkittles said:
I got 880957 N/C as my answer

That looks correct to me. (You might want to round off your answer to the appropriate number of significant figures.)

What is an infinite sheet with charge?

An infinite sheet with charge is a theoretical model that represents an infinite plane with a uniform distribution of electric charge. This means that the charge is spread out evenly across the entire plane.

How is the electric field calculated for two infinite sheets with charges?

The electric field for two infinite sheets with charges can be calculated using the superposition principle, which states that the total electric field at a point is the sum of the electric fields produced by each individual sheet. This can be represented mathematically by the equation E = E1 + E2, where E1 and E2 are the electric fields produced by each sheet.

What is the direction of the electric field between two infinite sheets with charges?

The direction of the electric field between two infinite sheets with charges will depend on the relative charge of each sheet. If the sheets have opposite charges, the electric field will point towards the sheet with the higher charge. If the sheets have the same charge, the electric field will point away from both sheets.

Can the electric field between two infinite sheets with charges ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field between two infinite sheets with charges can be zero at certain points. This occurs when the charges on the two sheets are equal and opposite, creating a neutral zone where the electric fields of the two sheets cancel each other out.

How does the distance between two infinite sheets with charges affect the electric field?

The distance between two infinite sheets with charges does not have a direct effect on the electric field. As long as the sheets remain parallel and the charges on each sheet remain constant, the electric field will remain the same regardless of the distance between them.