1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss' Law for Infinite Sheets of Charge

1. Dec 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three parallel, infinite, insulating planes (sheets) of charge are arranged as shown (see attached image). Note carefully the charge desnitties and distances given. From left to right the charge densities are -3σ, +σ, +σ. How does the magnitude of the electric field at point a compare to the magnitude of the field at point b?

2. Relevant equations
    E = σ/2ε0

3. The attempt at a solution
    From what I recall from my lecture, the E field of an infinite sheet of charge does not depend on distance. Second, I believe that the field lines look something like what I've drawn in the second attached image. For that reason, I argued the magnitude of A was larger than B as the charge density of the sheet is larger.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The field at A is going to be the sum of the fields from all three plates, isn't it?

4. Dec 16, 2013 #3
    Based off what one of my classmates told me, the field at the two points should be equal.

The only way I can rationalize these answer is by taking the sum of the three plates. I'm just confused as to why this is done.

5. Dec 16, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because the plates don't block the fields coming from the other plates, if that's what the confusion is. You could also directly use Gauss' theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted