1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two masses connected by a spring

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two masses ##m_1=2kg##, ##m_2=2m_1## are placed on the opposite edges of a spring of constant ##k_1=3N/m##, compressed of a length ##x_1=1.73cm##. The system is located on a smooth plane. At the right end of the plane there is a second spring of constant ##k_2=12N/m##. Once the first spring is at rest the masses are free to move (they are not fixed to the spring). So the situation is as follows:

_________________M1 spring1 M2___________spring2 ||

a) Find the velocity ##v_1,v_2## of masses ##m_1,m_2## respectively, when the first spring is at rest.

b) Find the maximum compression ##\Delta x## of the second spring.

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of energy, conservation of momentum, potential energy of a spring

3. The attempt at a solution

a) The velocities must satisfy the system:
    $$\begin{cases}\frac{1}{2}m_1v_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2=\frac{1}{2}k_1x_1^2 \\
    m_1v_1+m_2v_2=0\end{cases}$$
    ##\Rightarrow v_2=\sqrt{\frac{m_1k_1x_1^2}{m_2^2+m_1m_2}}=##
    ##\sqrt{\frac{2\cdot 3\cdot (0.0173)^2}{4^2+4\cdot 2}}=0.008 m/s##.
    Then ##v_1=-\frac{m_2}{m_1}v_2=-2v_2=-0.016m/s##.

b) The value ##\Delta x## must satisfy:
    ##\frac{1}{2}m_2v_2^2=\frac{1}{2}k_2(\Delta x)^2 \Rightarrow \Delta x=\sqrt{\frac{m_2v_2^2}{k_2}}=\sqrt{\frac{4\cdot (0.008)^2}{12}}=0.0046m##

Values are wrong on my textbook..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2
    What do you mean the values are wrong in your textbook? Do you mean your textbook gives you a solution that is different from your own? What is the given solution?

Your work seems to make sense to me. Perhaps you shouldn't be rounding the value you get for v_2 when you work through the whole problem, ie pretend 0.00865 m/s is entirely significant until the end (also, you should probably round that to 0.009 if you're going to round)

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    I talked to my professor and he agrees that the values found in my textbooks are wrong (what I meant before was that my result differs from that of the textbook). Anyway, thank you Alucinator for the tip about the rounding!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook