1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two masses connected via pulley: find acceleration

1. Feb 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two masses A and B, and of mass 1.6kg and 2.4kg respectively are connected by a light string which passes over a frictionless pulley. Calculate the acceleration of the 1.6kg mass.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    To get started I must know whether the two masses both have the same acceleration. Is that true? I know the tension of the system is the same.

Assuming it's true I get a simultaneous equation that looks like
    16-T=1.6a
    24-T=2.4a

which works out for a=10m/s^2 and T=0 which is a bit fishy. But if a is different for each mass than there are 3 variables but only two equations.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The two masses have the same acceleration (they are connected by a string!) The smallest mass will move upwards, so its resultant force will be T-16, hence your first equation should read T-16=1.6a

4. Feb 16, 2007 #3
    I see. The system should have a predetermined positive, negative direction. It's not the case that upwards is always + and downwards always - in this pulley problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?