Two numbers have a sum of 13 (terminology & help)

In summary, we are trying to find two numbers that add up to 13, and then find the minimum value of the sum of their squares. This can be done by setting up a quadratic function with x and 13-x as the two numbers, finding the minimum of this function, and then solving for x to get the two numbers.
Monocerotis
Gold Member

Homework Statement

10) Two numbers have a sum of 13.
10)a) Find the minimum of the sum of their squares.
10)b) What are the two numbers

Homework Equations

y=ax2+bx+c
y=a(x-h)2+k

According to the text: for a quadratic function in the forum of y=a(x-h)2+k, the maximum or minimum value is k, when x=h. If a> 0, k is the minimum value of the function. If a <0, k is the maximum value of the function.

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt, do not understand how to properly attempt the question.

What I believe to understand is that
a) the question is asking for the value of two numbers which add up to 13, and
b) what the value of those two numbers squared, then added up together is. I don't understand why it's asking for the "minimum" value of their squares.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two numbers have the sum of 13

a+b = 13

The sum of their squares is

y = a^2 + b^2

How could you find the minimum of this sum?

flatmaster said:
Two numbers have the sum of 13

How could you find the minimum of this sum?

No idea, hence the thread lol.

I would understand "Minimum of the sums of their squares" to be the smallest number, or minimum number, that their squares add up to.
What about writing the two numbers as x and 13-x? Then add their squares and minimize that function.

Bohrok said:
I would understand "Minimum of the sums of their squares" to be the smallest number, or minimum number, that their squares add up to.
What about writing the two numbers as x and 13-x? Then add their squares and minimize that function.

Ok, so how do you go about finding what those two numbers are ?

Once you find what x is (one of the numbers), subtract it from 13 to get the other (13-x in my last post).

Bohrok said:
Once you find what x is (one of the numbers), subtract it from 13 to get the other (13-x in my last post).

how do you find x ?

Let x and 13-x be the two numbers. Create a function that squares each of these numbers and adds them together. Can you do that?
Then find the minimum of the function.

1. What does "sum" mean in this context?

The sum refers to the total result of adding two numbers together.

2. How do I find the two numbers if I only know their sum is 13?

To find the two numbers, you can use algebraic equations. Let one number be represented by x and the other by y. Then, you can set up the equation x + y = 13 and solve for x or y.

3. Can there be more than one pair of numbers that have a sum of 13?

Yes, there can be multiple pairs of numbers that have a sum of 13. For example, 6 and 7, 4 and 9, and -2 and 15 are all pairs of numbers that add up to 13.

4. Is there a limit to the numbers that can have a sum of 13?

No, there is no limit to the numbers that can have a sum of 13. Any two numbers, whether they are positive or negative, whole numbers or fractions, can have a sum of 13.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life situation where two numbers have a sum of 13?

One example could be dividing a pizza into 13 equal slices. If you eat 7 slices and your friend eats 6, the total number of slices eaten would be 13.