Two parallel mirrors are separated by a certain distance

In summary, the problem involves two parallel mirrors separated by a distance of 4 meters, with a point object placed 0.4 meters from the first mirror. The distance of the second image is found to be 7.6 meters by adding the distance between the mirrors to the distance of the first image reflected on the second mirror. To find the third image, the distance from the object to the first mirror is doubled and added to the distance of the second image from the first mirror. The pattern can be expressed in terms of variable names and a formula can be derived to find the position of any image.
november1992

Homework Statement

Two parallel mirrors are separated by a distance of d = 4 meter. A point object is placed at a position a = 0.4 meter from the mirror 1.

How deep is the second image of the object in the mirror 1?

How deep is the third image of the object in the mirror 1?

http://i.imgur.com/qvb5m.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the distance of the second image to be 7.6m.
Since the first image reflected on the 2nd mirror would be a distance 3.6m away, I added the distance between the second and first mirror to that distance to find the second image on the 1st mirror.

I don't know how to find the 3rd image. There was a problem like this in my class, but the object was evenly spaced between the mirrors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the nth image behind mirror 1 is dn behind it, how far behind mirror 2 is its n+1th image?

What is dn?

november1992 said:
What is dn?
My post was defining dn to be the distance behind mirror 1 of its nth image.

Your explanation confused me, but I got the answer right answer. I'm not sure why though.

I doubled the distance from the object to the first mirror and added that to the distance of the second image from the first mirror.

november1992 said:
Your explanation confused me
Then I'd better try to unconfuse you.
Let dn to be the distance behind mirror 1 of its nth image there. So d1 = 0.4m, right?
The reflection of this in mirror 2 will make mirror 2's second image; at what distance behind mirror 2?
Meanwhile, mirror 2's first image was how far behind mirror 2? That reflected in mirror 1 makes mirror 1's 2nd image - where? And so on.
If you work in terms of variable names rather than numbers, you should quickly see the pattern and be able to make up a formula for the position of any image.

1. How does the distance between two parallel mirrors affect the reflection?

The distance between two parallel mirrors does not affect the reflection itself. However, it does affect the number of reflections that can be seen. The closer the mirrors are, the more reflections will be visible.

2. What happens if the distance between two parallel mirrors is increased?

If the distance between two parallel mirrors is increased, the number of reflections will decrease. Eventually, there will be a point where only one reflection is visible.

3. Is there a limit to the distance between two parallel mirrors?

There is no limit to the distance between two parallel mirrors. However, as the distance increases, the reflections will become smaller and eventually too faint to see.

4. How do the angles of the reflections change as the distance between two parallel mirrors is increased?

The angles of the reflections will remain the same regardless of the distance between the two parallel mirrors. The only change will be in the number and visibility of the reflections.

5. Can the distance between two parallel mirrors be used to create an infinite number of reflections?

No, the distance between two parallel mirrors can only create a finite number of reflections. As the distance increases, the reflections will become smaller and eventually too faint to see, resulting in a limit to the number of reflections that can be seen.