Two particles having charges separated by a distance

In summary, the electric field between two particles with charges of 0.600 nC and 5.40 nC is zero at a point 0.325 meters from the 0.600 nC charge. This can be found by equating the electric fields of both particles and solving for the distance. When one of the charges is negative, the same method can be used, but the vector directions should be considered.
sonrie
Two particles having charges of 0.600 nC and 5.40 nC are separated by a distance of 1.30 m.

A.) At what point along the line connecting the two charges is the net electric field due to the two charges equal to zero?

the electric field is zero at a point _______ m from .600nC

i found out the answer to this to be .325m. by doing the following:

E due to q1 is equal in magnitude to E due to q2 but in opposite direction

As both q1 and q2 are positive, the field is zero at a point in between them

As distance from q1 is L , distance from q2 is (1.3 - L)

kq1/L^2 = kq2/(1.2 - L)^2

(1.3 - L) / L= sq rt (q2 / q1)

(1.3 - L) = L* sq rt (q2 / q1)

1.3 = L [1+sq rt (q2 / q1)]

L = 1.3 / [1+sq rt (q2 / q1)]

L = 1.3 / [1+sq rt (5.40 / 0.600)]

L = 1.3 / [1+sq rt ( 9.00 )]

L = 1.3 / [1+ 3.0]

L = 1.3 / [ 4.0]

L=0.325 meter from 0.550 nC

Where would the net electric field be zero if one of the charges were negative.
Enter answer as a distance from the charge initially equal 0.600 nC . This is where i get lost, i don't know what to do next. please Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do it like you did the first one. Start with
[tex]\vec{E_1} + \vec{E_2} = 0[/tex]

Be careful about the vector directions.

should the answer be the same but just negative since i using the same values as before?

When I wrote, "You do it like you did the first one," I meant, you start it the same way. The algebra is different.

I apologize; I should have been clearer.

Thanks A Bunch!

You're welcome.

1. What is the force between two charged particles?

The force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law.

2. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the force between them?

The force between two charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the electric force follows an inverse-square law, meaning that the force decreases exponentially as the distance increases.

3. What happens to the force between two charged particles if one of the charges is doubled?

If one of the charges is doubled, the force between the two particles will also double. This is because the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges.

4. How does the sign of the charges affect the force between two charged particles?

The sign of the charges affects the direction of the force between two charged particles. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) repel each other, while unlike charges (positive-negative) attract each other.

5. Can the force between two charged particles be negative?

No, the force between two charged particles cannot be negative. The force will always be either positive (attractive) or negative (repulsive) depending on the signs of the charges. A negative force would indicate that the particles are attracting each other, while a positive force would indicate that they are repelling.