1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the electric field at point P between two charges

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the electric field (both magnitude and direction) at point P located between the charges q1 = -3C and q2 = +4C. Point P is 1/3 of the charges' separation distance from q1 and 2/3 of the charges' separation distance from q2.

2. Relevant equations
    E = kq/d^2
    Etotal = E1 + E2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am able to infer that the direction of the electric field points to the left of P. I also know that, due to the above equations, Etotal = (9E9 * 3)/(2/3x)^2 + (9E9 * 4)/(2/3x)^2 therefore Etotal = 3.24E11/x^2

However, I am having trouble finding the distance between the charges q1 and q2. Is there a point between q1 and q2 where the electric field is zero that I can set kq1/d^2 equal to kq2/d^2? I would appreciate any help finding the distance between the two given point charges.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The charge separation must be given, possibility is that you missed this information somehow or else the answer is to be expressed as a function of charges distance.

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    If it isn't given, I would assume that it is 1 meter.

5. Sep 7, 2015 #4
    Thank you for the help. I emailed my professor, and he confirmed that the answer will be expressed as a function of the charges' separation distance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted