Resultant Electric field between charges

In summary: Electric field can be zero only and only ##\vec E_{total}=0##.So ##\vec E_{1}+\vec E_{2}=0##Their magnitudes must be be same in this case.We can find the point at which the electric field is zero by taking the sum of the two fields: ##\vec E_{1}+\vec E_{2}=0##This point is at the midpoint between the two charges: ##(4.5x10^8+2.6x10^ V)/(10x10^-3+45x10^-3)=-8
williamhannah

Homework Statement

A +15 microC point charge Q1 is at a distance of 20 mm from a + 10 microC charge Q2.
Fin the resultant electric field at:
Ai) the midpoint between the two charges
ii) at point P along the line between Q1 and Q2 which is 25 mm from Q1 and 45 mm from Q2.
bi) Explain why there is a point along the line between the two charges at which the electric field is zero
ii) Calculate the distance from this point to Q1 and to Q2

Homework Equations

I know the eleectric field can be calculated using E = (kQ)/r^2 but I am unsure how to calculate this.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers at the back of the book say the answers are:
ai) 4.5 x 10^8 V/m towards Q2
ii) 2.6 x 10^ V/m away from Q1
bii) 11 mm from Q1, 9 mm from Q2[/B]

But I can't seem to get these answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
williamhannah said:

Homework Statement

A +15 microC point charge Q1 is at a distance of 20 mm from a + 10 microC charge Q2.
Fin the resultant electric field at:
Ai) the midpoint between the two charges
ii) at point P along the line between Q1 and Q2 which is 25 mm from Q1 and 45 mm from Q2.
bi) Explain why there is a point along the line between the two charges at which the electric field is zero
ii) Calculate the distance from this point to Q1 and to Q2

Homework Equations

I know the eleectric field can be calculated using E = (kQ)/r^2 but I am unsure how to calculate this.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers at the back of the book say the answers are:
ai) 4.5 x 10^8 V/m towards Q2
ii) 2.6 x 10^ V/m away from Q1
bii) 11 mm from Q1, 9 mm from Q2[/B]

But I can't seem to get these answers.
Show us what you've tried, even if you haven't obtained the book's answers. No help can be offered until you show your work.

gneill said:
Show us what you've tried, even if you haven't obtained the book's answers. No help can be offered until you show your work.
For ai)
E1 = kq/d^2 = ([8.9 x10^9] x [15 x 10^-6])/(10x10^-3)^2 = 1.335 x10^ 9 V/m
E2 = kq/d^2 = ([8.9 x10^9] x [1o x 10^-6])/(10x10^-3)^2 = 8.9 x10^ 9 V/m
Enet = E1 - E2 = 4.45 x 10^8 V/m towards Q2

aii)
E1 = kq/d^2 = ([8.9 x10^9] x [15 x 10^-6])/(25x10^-3)^2 = 2.14 x10^8 V/m
E2 = kq/d^2 = ([8.9 x10^9] x [10 x 10^-6])/(45x10^-3)^2 = 4.4 x10^7 V/m
Enet = E1 - E2 = 1.7 x 10^8 V/m away from Q1

bi) Is this the idea that due to the forces having the same magnitude, but in opposite directions, the electric field is zero.
bii) I am unsure of how to do this one.

williamhannah said:
For ai)
E1 = kq/d^2 = ([8.9 x10^9] x [15 x 10^-6])/(10x10^-3)^2 = 1.335 x10^ 9 V/m
E2 = kq/d^2 = ([8.9 x10^9] x [1o x 10^-6])/(10x10^-3)^2 = 8.9 x10^ 9 V/m
Enet = E1 - E2 = 4.45 x 10^8 V/m towards Q2

aii)
E1 = kq/d^2 = ([8.9 x10^9] x [15 x 10^-6])/(25x10^-3)^2 = 2.14 x10^8 V/m
E2 = kq/d^2 = ([8.9 x10^9] x [10 x 10^-6])/(45x10^-3)^2 = 4.4 x10^7 V/m
Enet = E1 - E2 = 1.7 x 10^8 V/m away from Q1

bi) Is this the idea that due to the forces having the same magnitude, but in opposite directions, the electric field is zero.
Looks good so far!
bii) I am unsure of how to do this one.
You'll need to write an equation for the electric field at any point along a line between the two charges. How might you specify such a point? Start with a drawing of the setup.

gneill said:
Looks good so far!

You'll need to write an equation for the electric field at any point along a line between the two charges. How might you specify such a point? Start with a drawing of the setup.
This is one that I am really unsure of

williamhannah said:
This is one that I am really unsure of
Electric field can be zero only and only ##\vec E_{total}=0##.So

##\vec E_{1}+\vec E_{2}=0##

Their magnitudes must be be same in this case.Logically think in which point Electric field could be 0.Deterime the distances and use the upper equation.

What is the definition of resultant electric field between charges?

The resultant electric field between charges is the vector sum of all electric fields due to individual charges present in a given space. It represents the net force experienced by a test charge placed at a particular point in the electric field.

How is the resultant electric field calculated?

The resultant electric field is calculated by adding the individual electric fields vectorially. This can be done by using the principle of superposition, where the electric field at a point is the sum of the electric fields due to each individual charge.

What is the direction of the resultant electric field?

The direction of the resultant electric field is determined by the vector sum of the individual electric fields. It is always directed along the direction of the net force experienced by a positive test charge placed at a particular point.

How does the distance between charges affect the resultant electric field?

The distance between charges has an inverse square relationship with the strength of the resultant electric field. As the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases. This is due to the fact that the electric field is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a weaker force on a test charge.

Can the resultant electric field be zero?

Yes, the resultant electric field can be zero if the vector sum of the individual electric fields is zero. This can happen when the charges are arranged in such a way that the electric fields cancel each other out, resulting in no net force on a test charge.