1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two problems which have been giving me problems

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) Test the following series for Uniform Convergence
    \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {\frac{{( - 1)^n }}{{n^{x}\ln (x)}}}

2) Let f(n,x) = [tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {( - 1)^n (1-x^{2})x^{n}}
    a) Test for absolutely convergence on [0,1]
    b) Test for uniformly convergence on [0,1]
    c) Is [tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|}
    [/tex] absolutely convergent on [0,1]?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first, I'm utterly lost. Is there an easy way to deal with such series?

For the second, could I just argue that for all 0<=x<1, there exists a, s.t. x < a <1
    and thus
    |\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|} | <= \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|} < \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {(a)^n} = \frac{a}{1-a}
    and for x = 1 and any a > 0
    |\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|} | <= \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|} = 0 < \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {(a)^n} = \frac{a}{1-a}[/tex]

This would prove all 3 right? But can I argue taht way? Can I fix my 'x' ahead of time, or does my argument have to work for all x simultaneously? Cuz if it does, then all I would have to do is choose x between a and 1 and the argument would break down.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    I think I figured out two (will post my work later).

But for 1, could I argue that the sequences of partial sums cannot be uniformly cauchy since they are unbounded near x = 1.
  4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    I confess I might have jumped the gun in saying that I figure out number two. Any help on either would still be greatly appreciated (also, if I could get a mod to give this thread a more decriptive title.... I don't think I can change the title).
  5. Feb 29, 2008 #4
    For the first one, how about splitting the sum into two: one for n even, one for n odd. Then you can use the p-series test on each.

The argument you use when 0 <= x < 1 works. When x = 1, what's inside the sum is 0 so the whole sum is 0. I find it unnecessary to consider the absolute value of the sum.
  6. Mar 1, 2008 #5
    Call me stupid (I'd rather you don't though =P), but I'm not sure I understand your approach for the first.

What I did was show that I can get x arbitrarily close to 1, and since log(x) is continuous, I can get arbitrarily close 1. Basically, I showed that for any 'n', I can make [tex]
    log(x) < \frac{1}{ne}
    so for x sufficiently close to 1

|\frac{1}{{n^{x}\ln (x)}}| > \frac{1}{|{n||\ln (x)|}} > |\frac{ne}{n}| = e

where first inequality holds because x is between 0 and 1.

Therefore the terms of the series do not go to zero uniformly on its domain, so it can't converge.

Is that a valid argument?
  7. Mar 1, 2008 #6
    What I wrote is for testing convergence, not uniform convergence. Sorry about that. I'm not familiar with uniform convergence.
  8. Mar 1, 2008 #7
    No problemo. =)

(Btw, uniform convergence is essentially the same, but it has to work for arbitrary x in the interval).
  9. Mar 1, 2008 #8
    If x is a fixed constant greater than 0, by the alternating series test, the sum in 1) converges. Does this mean that the sum converges uniformly in the interval [itex](0, \infty)[/itex]?
  10. Mar 1, 2008 #9
    Oops, I forgot to say that x belongs to [0,1].

Note that log(1) = 0, so it can't converge.

To converge uniformly, it has to converge for every x in the interval.
  11. Mar 1, 2008 #10
    Please, if a mod could, edit the first one so x belongs to the closed interval [0,1].

Thanks =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?