Two proofs in Dirac Delta Function

In summary, the given problem asks to show that x multiplied by the derivative of a set of functions, each defined as \delta_n = \frac{ne^{-n^2x^2}}{\pi}, is equal to the negative of the same set of functions. This proof does not involve the Dirac delta function, and instead relies on the definition of derivative and the limit of a set of functions. The concept of Fourier transformation may be helpful in solving part b) of the problem.
Shing

Homework Statement

a.)
Given [tex]\delta_n=\frac{ne^{-{n^2}{x^2}}}{\pi}[/tex]
Show: [tex]x{\frac{d}{dt}\delta_n}=-\delta_n[/tex]

b.)
For the finite interval [itex](\pi,-\pi)[/itex] expand the dirac delta function [itex]\delta(x-t)[/itex] in sines and cosines, sinnx, cosnx, n=1,2,3... They are not orthogonal, they are normalized to unity (btw, what meant by "normalized to unity"?)

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)
I first claim that[itex]\frac{d}{dt}\delta=0[/itex] is always zero, as a single jumping point can be ignored(?) when it comes to slope.
and then I start with [itex]\frac{d}{dt}(x\delta)=0[/itex]
However, I doubt
1.) is the slope truly equal to zero when x=0?
2.) How precise, rigor the math should be given it is a Math Method course?

b.)
I have totally no idea of this one! All I know is that it is related to Fourier transform, but I, we all haven't learned any about it yet!

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the delta in question a) is not the Dirac delta which, informally speaking, is "zero everywhere except in 0."
Rather, they are defining a whole set of (differentiable) functions,
[tex]f_n(x) = \frac{n e^{-n^2 x^2}}{\pi}[/tex]
and asking you to verify that
[tex]x \frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dt} f_n(x) = - f_n(x)[/tex]
for all values of n, which you can do by simply plugging in the definition (hopefully switching the letters in the notation clears up the confusion).

The idea, of course, is that we can later look at
[tex]\delta(x) = \lim_{n \to \infty} \delta_n(x)[/tex]
which is a limit of differentiable functions, but it is not itself a function (if you ever learn about distributions: this is the textbook example of a distribution which is not a function).

For b), you have to find the numbers an and bn such that
[tex]\delta(x) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} (a_n \sin(n x) + b_n \cos(n x))[/tex]
Have you ever heard of Fourier transformation?

Thanks for reply!
Later on I started with the definition of derivative of Dirac Delta function
[tex]\int{x \frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dt} f_n(x)dx} = \int{- f_n(x)}dx[/tex]
and claim that [itex]x \frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dt} f_n(x) = - f_n(x)[/itex]
is a consequence of it (because I couldn't directl prove that :( )
Is it okay for this proof as it is asking we to use the [itex]\delta_n=\frac{ne^{-{n^2}{x^2}}}{\pi}[/itex]

yeah, I have heard of Fourier transformation, but only learned little about it on my Mechanics course, and I didn't really get it :(

Once more, a) has nothing to do with the Dirac delta function!
If I asked you: prove that f(x) = x² satisfies
[tex]x \frac{d}{dx} f(x) = \frac{1}{2} f(x)[/tex]
you wouldn't need it either, would you?

Or, a better analog would be, to define a bunch of function as [itex]f_n(x) = x^n[/itex] and ask you to show that
[tex]x \frac{d}{dx} f_n(x) = \frac{1}{n} f(x)[/tex].

How would you go about doing that?

oh I see...
so the very idea here is just to prove a limit about infinite?

oh then it is hard /.\
okay
I will try my best.

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, denoted by δ(x), is a mathematical function that represents an infinitely narrow, infinitely tall spike at the origin (x=0) and is zero everywhere else. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent a point source or impulse in a system.

2. What are the two proofs of the Dirac Delta Function?

The two proofs of the Dirac Delta Function are the Limit Proof and the Fourier Transform Proof. The Limit Proof involves taking the limit of a sequence of functions that approach the Dirac Delta Function, while the Fourier Transform Proof uses the properties of the Fourier Transform to represent the Dirac Delta Function as a limit of a sequence of functions.

3. How does the Limit Proof of the Dirac Delta Function work?

The Limit Proof of the Dirac Delta Function involves taking the limit of a sequence of functions f(x) that approach the Dirac Delta Function as the parameter n approaches infinity. This is represented by the equation δ(x) = limn→∞f(x).

4. What is the Fourier Transform Proof of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Fourier Transform Proof of the Dirac Delta Function involves using the properties of the Fourier Transform to represent the Dirac Delta Function as a limit of a sequence of functions. The equation for this proof is δ(x) = limn→∞(1/(2πn))e-nx.

5. Why is the Dirac Delta Function important in science?

The Dirac Delta Function is important in science because it allows us to represent and analyze point sources or impulses in systems. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing, and is essential in solving many mathematical problems and equations.