1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two questions - (a) Differentiating inverse trig function and (b) vector

1. Nov 23, 2008 #1
    Struggling with these two questions, any ideas?

A
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Differentiate with respect to x

sin-1 2x - 4 cos-1[tex]\frac{x}{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The equations I have in my notes are identical to those derived here...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiation_of_trigonometric_functions

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got

[tex]\frac{1}{1 - 2x}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{8}{2 - x}[/tex]

but I am totally unconvinced by myself!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B

Resolve the vector x= (1,4,-3) along and perpendicular to a = (-2,3,1).

2. Relevant equations

?

I dont understand what the question wants me to do...

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2008 #2
    For the first part, [tex]arcsin(2x)[/tex], you got the derivative a little wrong.
    The derivative of [tex]arcsin(x)[/tex] is [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^{2}}}[/tex], but x is actually 2x in this case so replace the x in the denominator of the derivative with 2x, don't forget to square it, and don't forget the chain rule! The derivative of arccos(x) is the opposite of the derivative of arcsin(x), [tex]\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1 - x^{2}}}[/tex]. You can multiply the -4 through after you find the derivative of arccos(x/2), but don't forget the chain rule here either.

4. Nov 23, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I strongly suspect that, using the rules you refer to, you got
    [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1- 4x^2}}[/itex]
    and reduce that to 1/(1-2x).

The first is correct, the second is wrong: [itex]\sqrt{a^2- b^2}[/itex] is NOT equal to a- b!

5. Nov 23, 2008 #4
    [tex]\sqrt{1 - 4x^{2}} \neq 1 - 2x[/tex] You just said [tex]\sqrt{a^{2} - b^{2}} \neq a - b[/tex] but you went ahead and did it anyway for the first part of the problem.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(arcsin(2x)) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - (2x)^{2}}} * \frac{d}{dx}(2x) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{1 - 4x^{2}}}[/tex]
    That is as reduced as it goes unless you want to rationalize the denominator which is unnecessary.

6. Nov 23, 2008 #5
    For the second question, you need to break the vector down into projection and perpendicular components.

You need to project the vector x on vector a, then take the projection of a away from x. You are then left with the perpendicular component (the same as resolving x and y components of a force vector).

The projection is given by [tex]\frac{\vec{x}.\vec{a}}{\left|\vec{a}\right|^{2}}.\vec{a}[/tex]

which gives:

[tex]\vec{x}.\vec{a} = (1*-2) + (4*3) + (-3*1) = 7[/tex]
    [tex]\left|\vec{a}\right|^{2} = ((-2)^{2}+3^{2}+1^{2}) = 14[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\vec{x}.\vec{a}}{\left|\vec{a}\right|^{2}}.\vec{a} = (7/14)*(-2,3,1) = (1/2).(-2,3,1) [/tex]

Then take that away from x to get the perpendicular:

[tex] (1,4,-3) - (1/2)*(-2,3,1) = (1/2) * (4,5,-7) [/tex]

The full vector is then:

[tex] x = (1/2) * (-2,3,1) + (1/2) * (4,5,-7) [/tex]

Have a look at this:

http://webalg.math.tamu.edu/s03vectors/svec0601.pdf

7. Nov 24, 2008 #6
    Thanks for the help, I eventually did get that last answer, but I did rationalise the denominator.

Ta muchly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?