Two questions - Electric Potential

In summary: In this case, the plates are essentially point charges with a finite distance between them, so the electric field will change as the distance between the plates changes.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A -10 nC charge and a +20 nC charge are 15cm apart on the x-axis. What is the electric potential at the spot where electric field = 0?

So called the 20nC charge q1 & the -10 nC charge q2.
I also defined r1 as distance from the 20nC charge, so r2 must then = .15 + q1

so Kq1/(r1)^2 = Kq2/(r1 +.15)^2 but when I put in the values and solve the resulting quadratic, I get a negative radius. If I switch how I assigned the charges, however, I get the correct answer. Why must my r1 be the distance from the -10 nC charge?

Two 10 cm diameter electrodes are .50cm apart to form a parallel plate capacitor. The electrodes are attached to a 15V battery. Insulating handles are used to pull the electrodes away from each other until they are 1 cm apart. The electrodes remain connected to the battery during this process. What is the electric field after this process?

When they aren't pulled away deltaV = (.005m)E E= 3000V/m

I'm thinking that E should be constant because E = surface charge density / permittivity constant, but when they are pulled apart I find that:

V=Ed (15 V ) = E (.01) E = 1500 V/m. How can this change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1:

Draw out the x-axis containing the 2 charges. Let q1 be the one on the left and the other to the right of it. Now from first glance it looks like there are 2 regions one can find the E-field to be zero, namely the space either to the left or right of both charges (excluding the middle).

Suppose, as you did, we picked the space on the left. Where is the maximum electrostatic field strength which can be exerted by q2 to the left? Clearly that would be where q1 resides. Yet at the point, or anywhere on the left close to it, the electric field due to q1 would be much stronger and would more than cancel out the E-field due to the other charge, since the q1 has a larger charge magnitude. Evaluating the E-field at any point further left would decrease E-field due to q1, but it would also decrease the E-field due to q2, and since q2 is smaller in magnitude and further away, the E-field due to q2 would decrease at a rate greater than that due to q1.

Therefore it can't be that left region. So it has to be on the other side of the 2 charges.

#2:
I'm thinking that E should be constant because E = surface charge density / permittivity constant, but when they are pulled apart I find that:

V=Ed (15 V ) = E (.01) E = 1500 V/m. How can this change?
That is true only for an infinite plane of charge (which isn't connected to a battery)

#1: The distance between the two charges should not affect the direction of the electric field. The electric field always points from positive to negative charges. Therefore, the distance from either charge should not change the direction of the electric field. However, the magnitude of the electric field will change depending on the distance from the charges.

In this case, it seems that there may be an error in the calculations or in the assignment of the charges. It is important to double check the values and equations used to ensure accuracy.

#2: The electric field is not constant in this case because the distance between the charges is changing. As the plates are pulled apart, the distance between them increases, causing the electric field to decrease. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates.

The equation V = Ed is valid only when the electric field is constant. In this case, as the distance between the plates changes, the electric field also changes, so this equation cannot be used.

To calculate the electric field in this case, the equation E = V/d should be used, where V is the potential difference (15V) and d is the distance between the plates (.01m). This will give an accurate value for the electric field after the plates have been pulled apart.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a property of a point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the amount of work required to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric potential energy is a vector quantity.

3. What factors affect electric potential?

The factors that affect electric potential include the distance between two charges, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium between the charges. The direction of the electric field also plays a role in determining the electric potential at a point.

4. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charges. This equation is valid for point charges and can be extended to more complex systems using integration.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential difference?

Electric potential is a property of a point in an electric field, while electric potential difference (also known as voltage) is the difference in electric potential between two points. Electric potential difference is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force for current flow in a circuit.