1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two questions on electrostatics

1. Jun 19, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    I'm a bit stuck with some things in electrostatics.

My first problem:

in my textbook, when they try to derivate the formula for the potential of a point charge: [tex]V(b) = - \int E.d\mathbf{l} = -\frac{q}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \int_\infty^b \frac{1}{r^3} \mathbf{r}.d \mathbf{l} [/tex]

they say that [tex] \mathbf{r}.d \mathbf{l} = r.dr [/tex]
    There's also a picture which looks like this:

[​IMG]

My question is: Why isn't [tex] d \mathbf{r} = d \mathbf{l} [/tex] ? Why does [tex] d \mathbf{r} [/tex] have the same direction as [tex] \mathbf{r} [/tex] ?

My second problem:

There is some law or theorem which says that there is no electric field inside a conductor. Can this be proved, or is it just an empirical law?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2006 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The dl is a line element of the path you are taking to evaluate the integral (it doesn't matter what path you take), just some path from infinity to b.
    [tex]\vec r[/tex] is a vector pointing in the direction of the electric field (if the charge is positive), thus in the radial direction.
    The line element in spherical coordinates is something like [tex]d\vec l = dr\hat r+rd\theta \hat \theta+r\sin \theta d\phi \hat \phi[/itex], so [tex]\vec r \cdot d\vec l=rdr[/tex].

4. Jun 19, 2006 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you need to be a bit more precise. The electric field is zero in a region completely surrounded by a conductor, provided there is no charge enclosed in that region.

It can be proved easily using the first uniqueness theorem.

5. Jun 19, 2006 #4
    great, thank you very much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?