Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two rods connected, with a sliding mass attached to a spring.lagrange

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    A rigid T consists of a long rod glued perpendicular to another rod of length l that is pivoted about the
    origin. The T rotates around in a horizontal plane with constant frequency ω. A mass m is free to slide along the long
    rod and is connected to the intersection of the rods by a spring with spring constant k and a relaxed length zero. Find r(t)
    where r is the position of the mass along the long rod from the intersection. [You will find there are three cases to
    consider: depending on the size of ω2 compared to k/m.] There is a special value of ω; what is it and why is it special?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Im basically having trouble setting up the lagrangian.
    My kinetic energy so far is T=1/2mv^2+1/2Lω^2+1/2kx^2

The potential energy is throwing me through a loop as well
    i have U=mghsin(ωt) although i know this is either incorrect or their is more to it.
    I feel like i over think these lagrangian questions but im never very sure. any pointers on the kinetic and potential energies would be appreicated. solving the lagrangian and analying the special cases of ω i should be ok with, although your input it always welcomed.

thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
    If a diagram is needed i could provide a link.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2
    I am solving the same problem, and I cannot find a "comfortable" general coordinate for the mass. Also you are missing your spring potential term in the potential of the Lagrangian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook