Two ropes holding a weight. System is in equilibrium, how do I find T3?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
N.C.
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I was given:
the angles connecting each rope to the celing (theta1=55.9, theta2=23.2)
the weight attached to the third rope (295 N)
the system is in equilibrium

Homework Equations


system is in equilibrium


The Attempt at a Solution


I have solved for T1=276N, and T2=168N, both of which I know to be true.

How do I solve for T3 (the rope connecting the other two ropes to the weight?) What information is relevant or helpful (e.g. how knowing the system is in equilibrium helps to find T1 and T2)?

I hope you can help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if I understand the problem correctly, one end of the 3rd rope is attached to 295 N weight only, and nothing else (at that particular end of the rope). The weight is not accelerating. So what must be the tension on that particular rope?
 
OH! It would be equal to the weight... because the system is in equilibrium!

Yeah I just checked and I got it. Thanks!