Trig problems giving a hard time.

In summary, the person is having trouble with two homework problems from their high school mathematics book. They were able to solve one of the problems using basic algebra and trigonometry, but they are having a harder time with the second problem.
labin.ojha
I was having some free time and decided to do some mathematics from my high school mathematics book.These two problems remained, and I am completely clueless to the solution approach.

Homework Statement

A. If sin(θ)-cos(θ)=1, prove that sin(θ)+cos(θ)=±1
B. If tan(θ)+sec(θ)=10, prove that sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The approach to both problems were similar, I squared both sides of the given equations, and used trig identities at an attempt of simplifying.

That got me nowhere. :frown:

Pointers would be helpful. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
labin.ojha said:
A. If sin(θ)-cos(θ)=1, prove that sin(θ)+cos(θ)=±1
B. If tan(θ)+sec(θ)=10, prove that sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)=1
I squared both sides of the given equations, and used trig identities at an attempt of simplifying.
That certainly works for A. If you still can't see it, please post your working.
For B, pay close attention to what is to be proved.

haruspex said:
That certainly works for A. If you still can't see it, please post your working.
For B, pay close attention to what is to be proved.

Found a way for A:

sin(θ)-cos(θ)=1
[Squaring]
sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)-2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)=1=sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)
sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)=sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)+2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)
1=(sin(θ)+cos(θ))[itex]^{2}[/itex]
[Taking square roots]
sin(θ)+cos(θ)=[itex]\pm[/itex]1

For B, the 'to prove' equation is an identity but getting it from the given expression is being a problem
because as I square the both sides , it gets messier and hopeless.

Last edited:
labin.ojha said:
Found a way for A:

sin(θ)-cos(θ)=1
[Squaring]
sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)-2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)=1=sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)
sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)=sin[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)+2sin(θ)cos(θ)+cos[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)
1=(sin(θ)+cos(θ))[itex]^{2}[/itex]
[Taking square roots]
sin(θ)+cos(θ)=[itex]\pm[/itex]1

For B, the 'to prove' equation is an identity but getting it from the given expression is being a problem
because as I square the both sides , it gets messier and hopeless.

If the equation to be proved is an identity, you don't have to get it from the other expression. It's just plain always true.

Dick said:
If the equation to be proved is an identity, you don't have to get it from the other expression. It's just plain always true.

Yes, it is. But I'll look for the solution and post it here as soon as i get it . :smile:

EDIT:
the question seems to have been removed from the new edition of the book, mine was an old one.

Last edited:
labin.ojha said:
Yes, it is. But I'll look for the solution and post it here as soon as i get it . :smile:

There's really nothing to look for or get. This is exactly like proving "If x=2 then x=x." x=x is true regardless of whether x=2 is true. So "If x=2 then x=x." is a true statement.

labin.ojha said:
EDIT:
the question seems to have been removed from the new edition of the book, mine was an old one.

Removing it is a good idea. In the context of proving trig stuff, it's only going to cause confusion.

Likes 1 person

1. What is trigonometry and why is it difficult?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is often considered difficult because it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a strong understanding of geometry and algebra.

2. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use trigonometric identities and equations to simplify the equation and find the values of the unknown variables. It may take some practice and familiarity with these identities to be able to solve more complex equations.

3. What are the common mistakes when solving trigonometric problems?

Some common mistakes in solving trigonometric problems include using the wrong formula, forgetting to convert degrees to radians, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the formulas and conversion factors.

4. How can I improve my trigonometry skills?

Practicing regularly and familiarizing yourself with trigonometric identities and equations can greatly improve your trigonometry skills. It is also helpful to review basic geometry and algebra concepts to have a strong foundation.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, navigation, astronomy, and physics. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances in various real-world situations.