Trig identities (I think?) for precalc review

In summary, the student is trying to find sin θ, sec θ, and cot θ if tan θ = 27, sin θ, cos θ, and sec θ if cot θ = 4, cos 2θ if sin θ = 15, sin 2θ and cos 2θ if tan θ = √2, cos θ and tan θ if sin θ = 0.4 and π/2 ≤ θ < π, cos θ and sin θ if tan θ = 4 and π ≤ θ < 3π/2.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

My calc class is having me review precalc(which I'm really rusty on...)

21. Find sin θ, sec θ, and cot θ if tan θ = 27
22. Find sin θ, cos θ, and sec θ if cot θ = 4.
23. Find cos 2θ if sin θ = 15
24. Find sin 2θ and cos 2θ if tan θ = √2
25. Find cos θ and tan θ if sin θ = 0.4 and π/2 ≤ θ < π.
26. Find cos θ and sin θ if tan θ = 4 and π ≤ θ < 3π/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not going to ask you to do these for me, but since it's been several years since I've done any of this stuff(that i really do hate!) please refer me to videos / tutorials on how to work with them. My textbook only goes through one problem and that's it. The explanations are not the greatest as well.

Thanks alot. I apologize for not giving an attempt but all my attempts are so horribly off it's not even worth showing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

My calc class is having me review precalc(which I'm really rusty on...)

21. Find sin θ, sec θ, and cot θ if tan θ = 27
22. Find sin θ, cos θ, and sec θ if cot θ = 4.
24. Find sin 2θ and cos 2θ if tan θ = √2
25. Find cos θ and tan θ if sin θ = 0.4 and π/2 ≤ θ < π.
26. Find cos θ and sin θ if tan θ = 4 and π ≤ θ < 3π/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not going to ask you to do these for me, but since it's been several years since I've done any of this stuff(that i really do hate!) please refer me to videos / tutorials on how to work with them. My textbook only goes through one problem and that's it. The explanations are not the greatest as well.

Thanks alot. I apologize for not giving an attempt but all my attempts are so horribly off it's not even worth showing.

Do show your attempts.

Arnoldjavs3 said:
This one makes no sense. ##-1 \le \sin \theta \le 1##.

It was meant to be sinx = 1/5. I've solved all the original question, they were a bit easier than I had imagined.

Should I still post the solutions or can I mark this question as solved and move on?

Arnoldjavs3 said:
It was meant to be sinx = 1/5. I've solved all the original question, they were a bit easier than I had imagined.

Should I still post the solutions or can I mark this question as solved and move on?
Probably either is fine. See what others say.

Was #21 supposed to have 2/7 rather than 27?

Yeah, it was 2/7. Not sure why they turned the way they did when I had copy pasted them

1. What are trig identities?

Trig identities are mathematical equations that involve the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant) and are true for all values of the variables involved.

2. Why are trig identities important in precalculus?

Trig identities are important in precalculus because they allow us to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions and solve equations involving trig functions.

3. What are some common trig identities that I should know?

Some common trig identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

4. How do I prove trig identities?

To prove trig identities, you can use algebraic manipulation and substitution, as well as known trig identities. It is also important to understand the unit circle and the properties of the trig functions.

5. Where can I find practice problems for trig identities?

You can find practice problems for trig identities in your precalculus textbook, online resources, or by creating your own problems using known identities. It is important to practice regularly to become familiar with the various identities and their applications.