Two small beads having positive charges 3q and q are fixed

In summary, two small beads with positive charges of 3q and q are fixed at opposite ends of a horizontal insulating rod. A third small charged bead can slide freely on the rod and the equilibrium point has been found to be stable as long as it is a positive charge. This is because the force on the particle is related to a potential, and if the equilibrium point corresponds to a potential minimum, it will be stable. The charge being positive means that any deviation from equilibrium will result in the particle being pushed back towards the equilibrium point.
richyw

Homework Statement

Two small beads having positive charges 3q and q are fixed at opposite ends of a horizontal insulating rod, extending from the origin to the point x=d. A third small charged bead is free to slide on the rod. At what point is the third bead in equilibrium?

Explain whether it can be in stable equilibrium

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already found the equilibrium point. My trouble is explaining whether it can be in stable equilibrium. The answer says as long as it is a positive charge it can be. Is this because if it were a negative particle, any deviation from equilibrium and it would be accelerated into one of the two charges, whereas if it were positive it would oscillate until it reached equilibrium?

This makes sense in my head but I don't really know how to "show" it.

Physics news on Phys.org
richyw said:
I have already found the equilibrium point. My trouble is explaining whether it can be in stable equilibrium. The answer says as long as it is a positive charge it can be. Is this because if it were a negative particle, any deviation from equilibrium and it would be accelerated into one of the two charges, whereas if it were positive it would oscillate until it reached equilibrium?

This makes sense in my head but I don't really know how to "show" it.

That's basically the reason, yes. In the stable case, the force will push it back towards the equilibrium, and not away from it.

Another way to think about it is that the force on the particle is related to a potential through [itex] \mathbf{F} = - \nabla V \left( x \right)[/itex]. If the equilibrium point corresponds to a potential minimum, the equilibrium will be stable, whereas a maximum gives an unstable equilibrium (e.g. a ball rolling down a hill, or being stuck in a valley). And, of course, you can determine if it's a maximum or minimum by considering the second derivative of the potential function, the sign of which will depend on the sign of the charge.

ah thank you. that makes perfect sense now!

1. What is the force between the two beads?

The force between two charged beads can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In this case, the force would be equal to 27 times the Coulomb constant multiplied by the product of the two charges (3q and q) divided by the square of the distance between them.

2. How do the charges of the beads affect the force between them?

The strength of the force between two charged beads is directly related to the magnitude of the charges. In this case, the force will be stronger because one of the beads has a charge of 3q, which is three times greater than the charge of the other bead (q).

3. Can the two beads attract each other?

Yes, even though both beads have positive charges, they can still attract each other. This is because the strength of the force is not solely determined by the sign (positive or negative) of the charges, but also by the distance between the charges.

4. What would happen if one of the beads had a negative charge?

If one of the beads had a negative charge, the force between them would be repulsive rather than attractive. This is because like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract.

5. How does the distance between the beads affect the force between them?

The force between the two beads is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the beads increases, the force between them decreases. So, if the distance between the beads is doubled, the force would be four times weaker.