Equilibrium of Charged Beads on a Rod

In summary, the problem presents two small beads with positive charges fixed at opposite ends of a horizontal, insulating rod. The third small, charged bead can slide on the rod and the question asks at what position it will be in equilibrium. The equations used are Coulomb's law and the condition for equilibrium is that the net force along the x-axis is equal to zero. The third bead can be assumed to be either positively or negatively charged, and using Coulomb's law, the charge q can be solved for by summing all the forces on the particle.
sqenixs

Homework Statement

Two small beads having positive charges 3q and q are fixed at opposite ends of a horizontal, insulating rod, extending from the origin to the point x = d. A third small, charged bead between the two is free to slide on the rod. At what position is the third bead in equilibrium?
Can it be in stable equilibrium?

Homework Equations

coulombs law - F = k (|q1| |q2|)/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure what to do because I do not know if the third bead is positively or negatively charged. Unless it doesn't matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just said this is an equilibrium problem. What is the condition for the forces on a particle in equilibrium?

they are equal and opposite of each other?

sqenixs said:
they are equal and opposite of each other?

Well, I guess this is best formulated in terms of the net force. If there are equal and opposite forces on the particle, the the net force along the x-axis must be:

[tex]\Sigma F_x =0[/tex]

There you go. Now, you should be able to use that equation to solve for q, by summing all the forces on the particle. (Remember to keep track of the signs of the forces) Can you take it from here?

Welcome to PF!

sqenixs said:
coulombs law - F = k (|q1| |q2|)/(r^2)

I am not sure what to do because I do not know if the third bead is positively or negatively charged. Unless it doesn't matter?

Hi sqenixs! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes … use Coulomb's law, with r and d - r, and subtract.

(But isn't it q1 q2, not |q1| |q2|?)

As to the charge … maybe it doesn't matter … or maybe it affects the stability … who knows? :wink:

I think you can assume that one of the charges to be negative and the other is negative and it will give you the right answer..

and welcome to PF.

Related to Equilibrium of Charged Beads on a Rod

1. What is stable equilibrium?

Stable equilibrium refers to a state in which a system or object remains in a balanced position even when it is slightly disturbed. This means that any small changes or disruptions will not cause the system to move away from its current position.

2. How is stable equilibrium different from unstable equilibrium?

In stable equilibrium, the system returns to its original position after being disturbed, while in unstable equilibrium, the system moves away from its original position when disturbed. This means that in stable equilibrium, the system is able to resist any changes or disturbances, while in unstable equilibrium, the system is easily affected by small changes.

3. What factors affect stable equilibrium?

The factors that affect stable equilibrium include the shape, size, and weight distribution of the object, as well as the external forces acting on it. These factors determine the object's center of gravity and its ability to maintain balance.

4. How is stable equilibrium important in science?

Stable equilibrium is an important concept in science as it helps us understand how objects and systems behave when they are disturbed. It also plays a crucial role in designing and building stable structures, such as bridges and buildings, as well as in predicting the behavior of natural systems, such as weather patterns and ecosystems.

5. Can stable equilibrium be achieved in all systems?

No, stable equilibrium is not possible in all systems. Some systems, such as chaotic systems, are inherently unstable and cannot achieve a state of stable equilibrium. In other cases, external factors may constantly disrupt the system, making it impossible to achieve stable equilibrium.