Equilibrium of Three Positively Charged Beads

In summary, the problem involves two fixed beads with charges 3q and q on a horizontal, insulating rod, and a third bead that is free to slide on the rod. The task is to find the position of the third bead at equilibrium and determine if it can be stable. The relevant equation is Coulomb's Law, and the solution must be worked out symbolically as the charge of the third bead is unknown.
define_normal

Homework Statement

Two small beads having positive charges 3q and q are fixed at the opposite ends of a horizontal, insulating rod, extending from the origin to the point x = d. A third small bead (in the middle) is free to slide on the rod. At what position is the third bead in equilibrium? Can it be stable in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law
F = ke (q1q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to go about this problem because I don't know the charge of the third bead.

Physics news on Phys.org
define_normal said:
... I don't know the charge of the third bead.
You don't know any of the values, do you? Work symbollically. That is, just use q's and r's and such, instead of "actual numbers".

turin said:
You don't know any of the values, do you? Work symbollically. That is, just use q's and r's and such, instead of "actual numbers".

Hmm. So in order for me to do that, I don't need to know the charge of the third particle?

define_normal said:
Hmm. So in order for me to do that, I don't need to know the charge of the third particle?
That's right. You would need to know the charge if you wanted to calculate a non-vanishing force. But, the problem stipulates equilibrium, so it doesn't matter. You are looking for the location where - something, regardless of the amount of charge that is placed there - will calculate to be zero. Even then, you have to calculate this location symbolically (i.e. in terms of d).

Related to Equilibrium of Three Positively Charged Beads

1. What is the concept of equilibrium in the context of three positively charged beads?

Equilibrium in this context refers to a state in which the three positively charged beads are in a balanced position, with each bead experiencing an equal and opposite force from the other two beads. This results in the beads remaining in a stationary position without any net movement.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in this system?

Equilibrium is achieved through the principle of electrostatic force, where the positively charged beads repel each other and create a balance of forces that keeps them in a stationary position. The distance between the beads and the amount of charge on each bead play a crucial role in achieving equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of three positively charged beads?

The equilibrium of three positively charged beads can be affected by the distance between the beads, the amount of charge on each bead, and the presence of any external forces. Changes in any of these factors can disrupt the balance of forces and lead to a shift in the equilibrium position.

4. How does the distance between the beads impact equilibrium?

The distance between the beads plays a significant role in the equilibrium of three positively charged beads. As the distance between the beads increases, the electrostatic force between them decreases, and the beads may shift out of equilibrium. Similarly, decreasing the distance between the beads can also cause a change in the equilibrium position.

5. Can equilibrium be achieved with any combination of charge on the beads?

No, equilibrium can only be achieved with specific combinations of charge on the beads. If the charges on the beads are too similar, the repulsive force between them will be too strong, and the beads will not be able to achieve equilibrium. Similarly, if the charges on the beads are too different, the attractive force between them will overpower the repulsive force, leading to a shift in the equilibrium position.