Can I Connect Tank 1 & Tank 2 to Create a Water Level Difference?

In summary: Yes - and a hydraulic ram uses the Power of the water flowing through it. You may regard that as 'free' energy but it's still an energy input. The lower of your two tanks would have to have another outlet, allowing water flow downhill, out of it, to power the Ram.
Domagoj
I am currently working on something and I would like to know something. When we connect two tanks and we have water flowing into Tank 1.
Is it possible to make a connection between Tank 1 and Tank 2 so the water level in Tank 2 is higher than water level in Tank 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Domagoj said:
I am currently working on something and I would like to know something. When we connect two tanks and we have water flowing into Tank 1.
Is it possible to make a connection between Tank 1 and Tank 2 so the water level in Tank 2 is higher than water level in Tank 1?
Welcome to the PF.

As long as the connection includes a pump... :smile:

Yeah i didnt think there is any other solution except that... Are there some kind of pumps that don't use electricity (or any other imputs), something that works soley on mechanics, and are those pumps efficient in comparison with electrical pumps?

Domagoj said:
Yeah i didnt think there is any other solution except that... Are there some kind of pumps that don't use electricity (or any other imputs), something that works soley on mechanics, and are those pumps efficient in comparison with electrical pumps?
What's the application?

Domagoj said:

What do you mean by "or any other inputs"?

There are hand cranked pumps. Are they allowed?

there is no application...I just want to find out how things work

This pump doesn't use any electricity... :smile:

http://shop.australiangeographic.co.../BEBN-duncan-the-drinking-bird-outbox-web.jpg
BEBN-duncan-the-drinking-bird-outbox-web.jpg

I have another question that bothers me... If we have 2 tanks, Tank 1 is lower and Tank 2 is higher and they are connected. If water is flowing in Tank1, will Tank 2 also be filled and if so, are the water heights in both Tanks equal?

Domagoj said:
I have another question that bothers me... If we have 2 tanks, Tank 1 is lower and Tank 2 is higher and they are connected. If water is flowing in Tank1, will Tank 2 also be filled and if so, are the water heights in both Tanks equal?
If the water heights are not equal and the tanks are connected, there will be a water pressure difference that will drive water from the higher pressure (higher height) to the lower pressure, until the two heights are equal.

I understand thank you...One more... If we use Venturi pipe to connect two tanks, let's say that smaller end goes in Tank 1, and bigger end goes in Tank 2. Let's say that bigger end is twice the size of smaller end of the pipe. Does that affect water levels in Tanks.

Domagoj said:
I understand thank you...One more... If we use Venturi pipe to connect two tanks, let's say that smaller end goes in Tank 1, and bigger end goes in Tank 2. Let's say that bigger end is twice the size of smaller end of the pipe. Does that affect water levels in Tanks.
The change in pressure due to the Venturi effect only occurs when the liquid or gas is flowing. So it will affect how quickly the two tank pressures equalize, but won't prevent them from equalizing eventually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

Domagoj said:
Are there some kind of pumps that don't use electricity (or any other imputs)
Basically, no, not never ever. You cannot do work without an energy source. All the devices that appear to do that are based on some hidden source of energy (a trick) that is not obvious to the audience. If you define a pump as a device that raises the level of a fluid then all pumps need energy.

sophiecentaur said:
Basically, no, not never ever. You cannot do work without an energy source. All the devices that appear to do that are based on some hidden source of energy (a trick) that is not obvious to the audience. If you define a pump as a device that raises the level of a fluid then all pumps need energy.
I was reffering to something like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_ram

Domagoj said:
I was reffering to something like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_ram
Yes - and a hydraulic ram uses the Power of the water flowing through it. You may regard that as 'free' energy but it's still an energy input. The lower of your two tanks would have to have another outlet, allowing water flow downhill, out of it, to power the Ram.

1. Can I connect two tanks to create a water level difference?

Yes, it is possible to connect two tanks to create a water level difference. This can be done by connecting the tanks with a pipe or hose and ensuring that one tank is at a higher elevation than the other.

2. How does connecting two tanks create a water level difference?

When two tanks are connected, the water level in both tanks will seek to equalize. This means that the water will flow from the higher tank to the lower tank, creating a difference in water level between the two tanks.

3. What is the purpose of creating a water level difference between two tanks?

Creating a water level difference between two tanks can be useful for various purposes, such as regulating water flow, creating a pressure difference for water distribution, or simply for storing water at different levels for different uses.

4. Are there any limitations to connecting two tanks to create a water level difference?

Yes, there are a few limitations to consider when connecting two tanks. The elevation difference between the two tanks should not be too high, as this can cause excessive pressure and strain on the connecting pipes. Additionally, the tanks should be securely connected to prevent any leaks or damage.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when connecting two tanks for a water level difference?

It is important to ensure that the tanks are properly supported and secured to prevent any accidents or damage. Additionally, it is important to regularly inspect the tanks and connecting pipes for any leaks or damage to prevent potential hazards.