Two values for m for which a line is tangent to a parabola

In summary, this homework statement asks for two values of m for which the line y=mx-12 is tangent to the parabola y=x^2-3x+5.
rakeru

Homework Statement

Hi! I am doing some problems to practice for a math competition, and I'm wondering if I did this correctly. I don't really have an answer sheet, so I have no way of knowing whether I'm right. If you would please review it, that would be cool!

It reads:

There are exactly two values of m for which the line y=mx-12 is tangent to the parabola y=x^2-3x+5. Determine those two values.

Homework Equations

y=mx-12
y=x^2-3x+5

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so first I found the derivative of y=x^2-3x+5.

y'=2x-3

This is the slope, so I put it into the equation of the tangent line:

y=mx-12=(2x-3)x-12=2x^2-3x-12 <-- the tangent line

Now I made the the two equations equal to each other because they intersect at one point, right?

so:

x^2-3x+5=2x^2-3x-12

and when I solve for x it gives me +/- √17

I put this into the equation for the slope and I get:

m= 2√17 -3 or m=-2√17 -3

Is this correct? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me

Another way to do it (used by Fermat previous to the development of calculus):
To find where the line y= mx- 12 crosses the parabola [itex]y= x^2- 2x+ 5[/itex], solve the equation [itex]mx- 12= x^2- 2x+ 5[/itex] or [itex]x^2- (m+ 3)x+ 17= 0[/itex]

The "discriminant" of that equation is [itex](m+3)^2- 4(1)(17)= m^2+ 6m+ 9- 68= m^2+ 6x- 59[/itex]. The line will not touch the parabola at all if the equation has no real roots- if the discriminant is negative. It will cross through the parabola if the equation has two real roots- if the discriminant is positive. It will touch the parabola once (be tangent to the parabola) if the equation has a single root- if the discriminant is zero.

Thus, the line y= mx- 12 will be tangent to the parabola [itex]y= x^2- 2x+ 5[/itex] if and only if [itex]m^2+ 6m- 59= 0[/itex]. That is the same as the equation you got and, yes, it has roots [itex]-3\pm 2\sqrt{17}[/itex].

Nathanael said:
Looks correct to me

Thanks!

HallsofIvy said:
Another way to do it (used by Fermat previous to the development of calculus):
To find where the line y= mx- 12 crosses the parabola [itex]y= x^2- 2x+ 5[/itex], solve the equation [itex]mx- 12= x^2- 2x+ 5[/itex] or [itex]x^2- (m+ 3)x+ 17= 0[/itex]

The "discriminant" of that equation is [itex](m+3)^2- 4(1)(17)= m^2+ 6m+ 9- 68= m^2+ 6x- 59[/itex]. The line will not touch the parabola at all if the equation has no real roots- if the discriminant is negative. It will cross through the parabola if the equation has two real roots- if the discriminant is positive. It will touch the parabola once (be tangent to the parabola) if the equation has a single root- if the discriminant is zero.

Thus, the line y= mx- 12 will be tangent to the parabola [itex]y= x^2- 2x+ 5[/itex] if and only if [itex]m^2+ 6m- 59= 0[/itex]. That is the same as the equation you got and, yes, it has roots [itex]-3\pm 2\sqrt{17}[/itex].

Ouuuu interesting. Thank you :)

1. What does it mean for a line to be tangent to a parabola?

When a line is tangent to a parabola, it means that the line touches the curve at exactly one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How many values of m can make a line tangent to a parabola?

There are two values of m that can make a line tangent to a parabola. One value will result in a tangent line above the vertex of the parabola, while the other will result in a tangent line below the vertex.

3. How do you find the values of m for which a line is tangent to a parabola?

To find the values of m, you can use the fact that the slope of a tangent line to a parabola at a given point is equal to the derivative of the parabola at that point. Set the derivative equal to the slope of the line and solve for m.

4. Can a line be tangent to a parabola at more than two points?

No, a line can only be tangent to a parabola at two points. This is because a parabola is a second-degree polynomial, meaning it can only intersect a line at a maximum of two points.

5. How are the values of m related to the vertex of the parabola?

The values of m determine the position of the vertex of the parabola. If the line is tangent above the vertex, the value of m will be positive. If the line is tangent below the vertex, the value of m will be negative. The distance between the vertex and the point of tangency is also related to the value of m.