Types of Bonds and Orbitals in Molecules: NO3-, CS2, CH2O, FNO, C2F4

  • Thread starter Thread starter MysticDude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bond Orbital Type
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
MysticDude
Gold Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
0
Hello PFers, a chemistry question that I need help with awaits!

Homework Statement


10.42 Describe the types of bonds and orbitals in the following: (a) NO3-; (b) CS2; (c) CH2O; (d) FNO; (e) C2F4.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to visualize the kind of arrangement and what not for these but I did not know where to go from there.

(a).I think that there have to be sigma bonds and in the p-orbital. I'm not sure how to get the orbital though. I'm guessing for the orbital.

I don't know how to do the other ones though :(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Determine the Lewis structure and then use VSEPR theory. As far as I am aware...