Typical question: Entropy of the universe, of surroundings

In summary, the evaporation enthalpy of Hg is 59.3 kJmol^-1 at its boiling temperature of 356.6ºC. We can use the equations dS=dQ/T and Q=ΔvapH to calculate the vaporization entropy of Hg at this temperature, which is 0.094 kJ K^-1 mol^-1. However, the problem arises when we try to calculate the change in entropy of the surroundings and universe, as it violates the second law of thermodynamics. To solve this issue, we must determine the temperature of the surroundings, which must be at least 400ºC for the process to be reversible. This also affects the enthalpy of vapor
davidbenari

Homework Statement

The evaporation enthalpy of Hg is ##59.3 kJmol^-1## at its boiling temperature ##356.6ºC##. Calculate:

(a) the vaporization entropy of Hg at this temperature

(b) the change in entropy of the surroundings and universe

(c) the vaporization entropy of Hg at 400ºC.I was also given heat capacities for liquid and gaseous states as ##27.983 JK^-1mol^-1## and ##20.786JK^-1mol^-1##.

Homework Equations

##dS=dQ/T##

##Q=\Delta_{vap} H##

##Delta S_{univ}=\Delta S_{system} + \Delta S_{surroundings}##

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
##\Delta_{vap} S = \frac{\Delta_{vap} H }{T} = 59.3 / (356.6+273.15) = 0.094 kJ K^-1 mol^-1##

(b)
##\Delta S_{system} = \frac{-\Delta_{vap} H}{T_{surroundings}}=\frac{-59.3}{25+273.15}= -.1988 kJ K^-1 ## Here I've assumed that only one mole is being heated, because no other information has been given. I have also assumed that the temperature of the surroundings is 25ºC.

##Delta S_{universe} = -.1048 kJ/K##

(c)

Enthalpy doesn't change with temperature (approximation). Therefore

##\Delta_{vap} S = \frac{59.3}{400+273.15} = 0.088093 kJ K^-1 mol^-1##Few comments:

This problem violates the second law of thermodynamics because the entropy of the universe has been calculated to be negative.

Also, I'm having doubts as to what the temperature of the surroundings is. Is it assumed to be 25ºC? Its not the same as the substance being heated? Why so?

Would you agree with me that these questions/procedures are assuming that things are happening reversibly? Doesn't the second law of thermodynamics say that the entropy of the universe is 0 for a reversible process?

What have I done wrong?

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed, you have shown that the spontaneous vaporization of Hg at 356.6C will not occur in an environment at 25C. Rather, heat flow will go from the Hg to the surroundings.

So it seems to me that the problem is with your assumption that the surroundings are at 25C.

If the Hg is receiving heat flow at 356C and the heat flow is coming from the surroundings, what must be the temperature of the surroundings? (Hint: to find the vaporization entropy, assume that the process is reversible. For part C, assume that surroundings are at 400C)

AM

Likes davidbenari
You mean assume that the system is at 400C (for part (C) ) ?

I really have to be told what the temperature of the surroundings is right?

davidbenari said:
You mean assume that the system is at 400C (for part (C) ) ?
For part C, assume the Hg is initially a liquid at 400C and that heat flows into the Hg from the surroundings. The issue is to determine the magnitude of the heat flow into the Hg from the surroundings (which have to be at a minimum of 400C) in order to cause vaporization. If the enthalpy of vaporization at 356.6 C is x, what will it be at 400C? - higher or lower? by how much? (hint: they gave you the specific heat of Hg liquid for a reason).

I really have to be told what the temperature of the surroundings is right?
If you assume a reversible vaporization, the surroundings just have to be at an infinitesimally higher temperature. It can't be lower. The change in entropy of the Hg + change in entropy of surroundings = 0.

AM

Likes davidbenari

1. What is entropy and how does it relate to the universe?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of the universe, it is a measure of the overall disorder or randomness of all the particles and energy within it. As the universe expands and energy is dispersed, the overall entropy of the universe increases.

2. How is the entropy of the universe related to the concept of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system (such as the universe) will always increase over time. This means that the universe is constantly becoming more disordered and chaotic as it expands and energy is dispersed, resulting in an increase in its overall entropy.

3. Can the entropy of the universe decrease?

In theory, the entropy of the universe could decrease if energy and particles were to become more concentrated, resulting in a decrease in overall disorder. However, this is highly unlikely to occur on a large scale due to the second law of thermodynamics and the constant expansion of the universe.

4. How does the entropy of the universe affect the future of the universe?

As the entropy of the universe continues to increase, it is thought that eventually all energy will be evenly distributed and the universe will reach a state of maximum entropy. This is known as the "heat death" of the universe, where all processes will come to a halt and the universe will be in a state of complete disorder.

5. What is the role of surroundings in the entropy of the universe?

The surroundings refer to the environment or external factors that can affect the entropy of a system. In the case of the universe, the surroundings play a role in the overall increase of entropy as they contribute to the dispersal and distribution of energy and particles. However, the surroundings do not have a direct impact on the entropy of the universe itself.