Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Stargazing U.S. Solar Eclipse of Aug. 21, 2017

1. Aug 20, 2017 #321
    Good luck to everyone weatherwise! It's raining at my current location (not in the US, and as I said before I won't be there tomorrow).
    ... Small detail ...
    These have been asked and answered before in this thread.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/u-s-solar-eclipse-of-aug-21-2017.866521/page-12#post-5823049
    (post #232 and forth ...)
    Look at the replies in between and what I and others consider as the conclusion:

2. Aug 21, 2017 #322

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I'm in the same general area today and have been following the forecast for two weeks. Yesterday's forecast was the best one so far. Weather is perfect this morning - not a single cloud in the sky! :)

3. Aug 21, 2017 #323

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So far it's clear here- forecast is for mostly sun; occultation starts at 1:06 pm EST, maximum (80%-ish) at 2:30... I may need 2 cameras- one for the sun, one for the party scene :)

4. Aug 21, 2017 #324
    Partly cloudy here. T-minus 3 hours about?

5. Aug 21, 2017 #325

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If only it weren't so humid. ?:)

6. Aug 21, 2017 #326

anorlunda

Cloudless blue sky in Kentucky

Hey everyone, when you post about local conditions, please say where your locality is.

7. Aug 21, 2017 #327

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Low fog in Lincoln city, OR, but it is just 8:00 am, so there is still hope that it will think or burn off by eclipse time as the sun rises.

8. Aug 21, 2017 #328

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looking forward to a good show! we're only getting a 74% eclipse here in north Texas, but still worth taking a long lunch for. I've got eclipse viewing glasses but I also built a projector box out of a cardboard box and some spare machine vision lenses here at work. Everybody post pics!

9. Aug 21, 2017 #329
    You can watch live with this NYT feed

10. Aug 21, 2017 #330

BillTre

Science Advisor

I am right now (8:42 Pacific Time) on the OSU campus waiting for the eclipse to get going. e wifi for my laptop on a soccer field.
    The sky is clear. All systems are go!

Have wifi for my laptop on a soccer field.

Drove up yesterday and had less traffic than is around Portland every week day.
    Probably could have driven up today if I wanted to.

11. Aug 21, 2017 #331
    For those who are in a partial eclipse zone (like us in upstate NY), if you are near a rural area with woods, apparently you may be able to experience the leaves creating lots of "pinhole" effects, resulting in a deluge of crescent-shaped patches of light and shadow. We have several acres of woods right in back of the house so we'll see.

This must be a very well-known phenomenon but I hadn't heard of it before. My wife heard about it on a radio show featuring our local astronomy buff/author Bob Berman. I also found a web page from the 2012 eclipse with photos:

Tree Leaves as “Pinhole Cameras” During a Solar Eclipse

12. Aug 21, 2017 #332
    It's happening!

13. Aug 21, 2017 #333
    Moon phase today: New moon (1st day)
    [Meaning the moon is totally invisible]

This is the only time (phase) a total solar eclipse can occur, because the sun has to be exactly on the other side (180°).
    Also it's not the moon's shadow that we see [as we speak] hiding the sun, but the moon itself; it's just that it's invisible because it's new moon ... (and not just because it's day and it's in front of the sun)
    (obvious basic astronomy)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  14. Aug 21, 2017 #334

anorlunda

15. Aug 21, 2017 #335
  16. Aug 21, 2017 #336
    Watching from Durham, NC. A few puffy clouds in the sky, otherwise pretty clear.

I saw about a 75% coverage eclipse in... oh.... maybe 1973 or so, in New Jersey when I was in the third grade. It is supposed to be about 93% here. Really wish I could have gotten out of town to check out the totality..... Hopefully there will be more opportunities.

Watching live coverage in Science Channel and tracking it on various websites.

Nature sure puts on some cool shows.

diogenesNY

17. Aug 21, 2017 #337

mfb

2017 Award

Totality has started a few minutes ago, currently over the Pacific.

From Western Europe you can see a very shallow partial eclipse close to sunset. Map

18. Aug 21, 2017 #338
    less than 2 minutes until totality in Oregon!!

19. Aug 21, 2017 #339
  20. Aug 21, 2017 #340

jtbell

The partial eclipse has begun in upstate SC, but clouds have been popping up. Maybe about 40% sky coverage. Keeping our fingers crossed...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted