Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U.S. warns Germany on World Cup sex workers

1. Jun 5, 2006 #1
    CNN news link.

Clearly, the U.S. believes and rightly so, that such actions are not right.

However, I believe that the U.S., being committed to only a particular part of the planet, and therefore only particular individuals and not all individuals, precluded the possibility of it having the moral authority with ALL individuals, including all of its own citizens.

Now, one could delve into the past of the U.S. and cite many moral inconsistencies with its administrations, but one could delve into any nation's past and do the same.

What's done was done.

The purpose of the current thread is to simply ask whether or not you believe that the U.S. has the moral authority, with either its own citizens only or with all citizens everywhere, to oppose activities anywhere that are inherently harmful and dehumanizing?

If you like, indicate whether or not you are a U.S. citizen.

I am a Canadian citizen only.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2006 #2

Art

If there were no prostitutes in the US and if prostitution wasn't legal in any part of the US then I could understand them commenting on Germany's attitude to sex workers but given that there are many prostitutes in the US and that in parts of Nevada prostitution is legal the quote which comes to mind is "Physician heal thyself"

By legalising prostitution Germany allows the sex industry to be regulated, and controlled thus helping to protect the prostitutes and their customers from violence and disease. The fact Germany has legalised prostitution should reduce the amount of human trafficking and exploitation rather than increase it as abuse is far more likely when the profession is driven underground..

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  4. Jun 5, 2006 #3
    I have not ever been to Vegas, but it is legal there, correct?

A moral authority is always consistent.

5. Jun 5, 2006 #4
    There are different things to consider.

Willing prostitute, No. It's up to the prostitute to sell itself, it's legal to sell yourself in Germany, the US has no right condemn it because prostitution is legal in Nevada.

But I don't think anyone would condone kidnapping and child molestation to protect the innocent. That isn't a moral issue, it's simply self defense. It's in everyone's interest to do so.

Prostitution and slavery are not the same thing.

Germany does not condone slavery, and prostitution is not slavery. Here it even says so in your article:

"However, the 2006 Trafficking in Persons Report gave Germany its highest overall rating for compliance with efforts to stop trafficking, and noted German efforts to combat exploitation during the World Cup."

I'm a US citizen and despise the Bush regime, its incompetence, and its exploitation of the religious.

These statements are uncalled for an idiotic. Germany does quite well taking care of itself, will do its best to protect the innocent.

ET is just upset because she can't give it away for free, even if she pays.

6. Jun 5, 2006 #5

Art

Strangely enough Las Vegas is not one of the places in Nevada where prostitution is legal. Each county decides whether to legalise it or not and Clark County (where Las Vegas is) decided not to.

Agreed, if it is to carry any weight.

7. Jun 5, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This is hilarious in its insanity. If we have prostitutes in our country, our government doesnt have the moral authority to comment on it? That's like saying no other country in the world has the moral authority to comment on our war with iraq if they have ever had a war in their history or commit any form of injustice towards their own citizens in any way shape or form. Why not question Canada when they comment on US health care when i have a Canadian friend who doesnt have comprehensive health insurance (or well she doesn't have any at all) over there.

By the way, prostitution is not legal in Las Vegas. It is only still legal in a couple of Nevada counties.

8. Jun 5, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, but if the government legitimizes it, they can't ask others to make it illegal, can they?

The only argument that I see which can remove the perceived double standard is that the Federal Government is a different entity than the governing authorities in the states than legalize prostitution. The Feds just have to say, "if we wanted it our way, there would be no legal prostitution in Nevada, but that's not ours to decide".

Late edit : I have no idea how centralized law-making is in Germany. Is legalization of prostitution a Federal policy. Are there states in Germany that can choose to criminalize it?

9. Jun 5, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My take on it wasn't that they were really trying to tell Germany they need to make prostitution illegal, but more that they should do more to help stop what is essentially a slave trade of sex workers, which is quite different from someone deciding for themself to enter into prostitution.

10. Jun 5, 2006 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But then, there's this specific statement from the article:

11. Jun 5, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops. :redface: I hadn't read the full article. I was just going by what I heard on the radio earlier today. I stand corrected.

The comment in the original quote I took as just the US position, not what they were telling Germany to do, but I see buried at the end of the original article, a statement urging Germany to recriminalize prostitution, which is very different than asking they step up efforts to prevent human trafficking during an event likely to make them a target for such activities.

12. Jun 5, 2006 #11
    Good point.

So, does the federal U.S. have the power to make prostitution illegal everywhere in the U.S., regardless of the state's position?

Effectively outrank the particular state?

13. Jun 5, 2006 #12
    It would have to be a constitutional ammendment.

14. Jun 5, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Federal law would effectively supercede the state law if it isnt in their constitution... which unfortunately i think it is. So maybe indeed a constitutional amendment is in order.

15. Jun 5, 2006 #14
    Yet another example of the self-proclaimed ""freest country in the world" calling out for less freedom elsewhere in the world. Why do we have such people running our government?

16. Jun 6, 2006 #15
    So, can anyone explain how and where the U.S. is the moral authority on anything?

17. Jun 6, 2006 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd say the US is a "moral authority" on the economic freedoms afforded to its citizens.

18. Jun 6, 2006 #17
    I was not aware that the attainment of monetary value was equivalent to being moral.

If that were indeed the case, then prostituting for money would equal morality.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  19. Jun 6, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This sounds like one of the very few issues where that argument makes absolutely no sense. We're talking about human trafficking... how is this calling for less freedom?

20. Jun 6, 2006 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Other nations do one hell of a job criticizing the United States on just about everything... so why not in return?

21. Jun 6, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They can make it as a statement of this administration's policy, but that doesn't make it enforceable or anything. It's sort of like your neighbor coming over to you and telling you how they think you should raise your children. They can tell you their views in the hope of persuading you to share them, but more likely, you're just going to roll your eyes and keep doing what you think is best for your own children.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?