1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: U-Tube Mass and Pressure Problem

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. A U-tube is filled with water, and the two arms are capped. (Intro 1 figure) The tube is cylindrical, and the right arm has twice the radius of the left arm. The caps have negligible mass, are watertight, and can freely slide up and down the tube.

2. The locations of the two caps at equilibrium are now as given in this figure. (Part D figure) The dashed line represents the level of the water in the left arm.
    What is the mass of the water located in the right arm between the dashed line and the right cap?

3. Not a clue of how to start (or finish) this problem

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What are the units of pressure? What is the water pressure at the surface in the left tube? What is the pressure at the surface in the right tube? What is the pressure at the level line in the right tube? What accounts for the difference between the pressure at the surface in the right tube, and the level line in the right tube?

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    Everything i put up is all that i know. The radius of the right side is double of the left side. and there is a 1kg weight on top of each tube like in the attached picture.

5. Sep 30, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, that is not enough effort on your part for this website. We do not do your work for you here.

Please answer my questions in my post above. You might actually solve your own schoolwork question by doing so.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook