UBC, Berkeley, or UCLA, for undergrad?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a California resident who is considering attending Berkeley, UCLA, or UBC for their undergraduate studies and their potential impact on their future grad school plans. The cost of attending each university is also discussed, with UBC being significantly cheaper. The expert suggests that education is what you make of it and that UBC has a strong reputation in the STEM fields. They also mention that while attending Berkeley or UCLA may have some benefits, it ultimately depends on the individual and their dedication to their studies. They advise the individual to consider the cost and their personal study habits when making their decision.
davidb98
Hi,

I'm a California resident who is also a Canadian citizen. I'm currently deciding between Berkeley, UCLA, and UBC (University of British Columbia). I would be majoring in physics at Berkeley and UCLA, while at UBC I would major in Engineering and hope to get into Engineering Physics. I'm also hoping to go to grad school.

Engineering Physics at UBC would take 5 years and be around C$22K/year (about US $17K currently, a total of US $85K). UCLA and Berkeley would be around $33-34K/year (a total of $132K).

Will I receive a better education at Berkeley or UCLA than at UBC? And will this difference be worth the additional cost, considering that I will probably be going to grad school?

Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Education is what you make of it. It is perfectly possible to go to UBC and end up much better prepared for grad school. The clue is to take education into your own hands and to self-study a lot.

It is perfectly possible to get into grad school from UBC. But there are some benefits if you end up going to Berkeley and UCLA instead:
- Better students meaning you get encouraged and pushed further by your peers
- More research opportunities
- Perhaps more advanced classes

Whether this is worth it, that is up to you. Personally, I would go to UBC and self-study a lot.

Likes davidb98
If the extra c. $50K cost of Berkeley or USC would have to be covered by loans, I would definitely prefer UBC. IMO physics is not a field where it makes sense to take on large amounts of debt, unlike medicine or some other professional fields.

Likes davidb98
To the OP,

I'm a Canadian citizen as well (actually, a dual Canadian/American citizen), and while I did not graduate from UBC, I am familiar with the school and a number of students who have graduated there. UBC is a great school with a strong reputation in the STEM fields, including both engineering and physics. I am confident that you will receive an excellent education at UBC, certainly on par with what is offered at Berkeley or UCLA, at far less cost (if you were offered scholarships at Berkeley or UCLA the situation may be different).

As far as grad school is concerned, it really does not matter that much where you go to school for undergrad -- if you succeed in your studies, you have just as strong a chance to pursue graduate studies as anyone else. Many UBC graduates have gone on to pursue graduate studies (both within Canada and the US).

If I were you, just looking at cost alone (which is the criteria you have brought up), then I would choose UBC. But the decision is ultimately up to you.

Likes davidb98 and micromass

1. What programs/majors are offered at UBC, Berkeley, and UCLA for undergraduate students?

At UBC, there are over 200 undergraduate programs to choose from, ranging from arts and sciences to professional programs such as engineering and business. Berkeley offers over 350 undergraduate majors across various fields including social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, and engineering. UCLA has over 125 majors for undergraduates, including majors in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and STEM fields.

2. What is the acceptance rate for UBC, Berkeley, and UCLA?

As of 2020, the acceptance rate for UBC is approximately 52%, while Berkeley has an acceptance rate of around 16.8%. UCLA has a slightly higher acceptance rate of 12.4%. However, it's important to note that acceptance rates can vary year to year and can also vary between different majors and programs.

3. What is the student population like at UBC, Berkeley, and UCLA?

UBC has a student population of around 60,000, with 56,000 undergraduate students. Berkeley's student population is around 42,000, with approximately 30,000 undergraduate students. UCLA has a slightly smaller student population of about 45,000, with 31,000 undergraduate students. The student body at all three universities is diverse and globally representative.

4. What are the campus facilities and resources like at UBC, Berkeley, and UCLA?

All three universities have top-notch facilities and resources for their students, including libraries, research centers, sports facilities, and student support services. UBC, Berkeley, and UCLA are also known for their beautiful campuses and have a variety of dining options, housing options, and recreational activities available for students.

5. What is the cost of attending UBC, Berkeley, and UCLA for undergraduate students?

The cost of attending UBC, Berkeley, and UCLA for undergraduate students can vary depending on factors such as residency status, choice of program, and financial aid. As of 2020, the estimated cost of attendance (including tuition, fees, and living expenses) for international students at UBC is around $41,000 CAD per year. At Berkeley, the estimated cost for out-of-state students is around $67,000 USD per year, while at UCLA, the estimated cost for out-of-state students is around $63,000 USD per year.