Choosing between unis—UC Berkeley, Cornell

In summary, both universities offer excellent opportunities for students, and you should consider many factors when making your decision.
llha
Hello there!

I recently had the privilege of being accepted to UC Berkeley and Cornell for my undergrad! I'm very grateful to both universities for this opportunity. I'm just generally wondering what factors for grad school admission I should be considering when choosing between unis, like prospective research opportunities and professors. If you have any personal experience with these schools, please let me know!

I know this might be getting too ahead of myself, but this is really important to me! For reference, I'm planning to major in astronomy and physics. Thank you in advance!

(Also, if it's important, I'm an OOS applicant for UC Berkeley. Cost also isn't an issue! I just would like a more experienced perspective on what's important for graduate school. Thanks again!)

Physics news on Phys.org
In addition to your chances of admission to grad school, I would recommend you consider other factors that will impact your experience as an undergraduate. In this case, some possibly important factors that are rather different between these two choices include weather, physical isolation of the towns, physical beauty, personal safety, number of undergraduates (Berkeley 30,000, Cornell 15,000). I would also hope some recent students at these schools will weigh in with impressions of how well undergrads are treated, how seriously undergrad teaching is taken by faculty, e.g. what percentage of classes are taught by senior faculty.

In terms of academic reputation, both are very well regarded, (maybe in my unscientific view Berkeley stands a bit higher in that one measure, but this measure can be opposite to how well undergrads experience it). A quick google search of Berkeley displays a typical lecture class with a rather large audience. Does anyone know whether Cornell has smaller classes? Of course a large lecture taught by someone like Richard Feynman can be more enjoyable and rewarding than a small one taught by a grad student.

The good news is you have two very fine options. Have you actually visited these two places? In my opinion, not everyone would enjoy life in Berkeley CA, but I have never been to Ithaca, where perhaps something similar, but more or less opposite, is true. Some decades ago, my impression of Berkeley was that the atmosphere was rather combative and stressful, both the city and the school, and I would guess that Ithaca is a bit more laid back. Current testimony would be more useful.

I am an elderly retired math professor who attended an ivy league undergrad school, and visited for several months at the mathematical sciences research institute in Berkeley as a senior researcher. I know a few people on staff at both Cornell and Berkeley, although most of my acquaintances are retired now too.

Congratulations to you!

Likes llha, berkeman and member 587159
They are both great schools, but perhaps the largest difference is in where they are located. Do you find yourself better suited to living in the Bay area, or somewhere more secluded? I'm a grad student at Cornell and know plenty of people who have attended both Berkeley and Cornell. Those people tend to love one and hate the other, location-wise. People who prefer a rural area tend to feel suffocated in Berkeley, and people who are solar-powered tend to wilt in Ithaca.

Like mathwonk alluded to, I also found the Berkeley atmosphere more stressful/competitive compared to Cornell, but I don't know if that is true at the undergraduate level as well.

Likes llha and berkeman
I'm prejudiced: go to Cornell. (me Cornell BA '74 )
But you must like snow! And living in one of the most beautiful places on the planet! And cultural and intellectual diversity.
Actually I did not love my undergraduate time far above Cayuga's waters but I would not now trade it for any other. For instance when I was there the number of females was always woefully inadequate... !
For me it was a demanding place filled with diversely extraordinary human beings. Probably just what I needed.

Good luck. Buy some cross country skis...

Likes llha
I have never been on an admissions committee or anything like that but I think if I were to assess a graduate from Cornell or Berkeley in physics, I would regard both schools equally. They are both Excellent.
Cornell is smaller, and I lived in New York when I went to college, so I would prefer Cornell. I think if I lived in California, I would probably prefer Berkeley. As far as name recognition and graduate school assessment, you can't lose with either choice.

Likes llha
To the OP:

You mentioned that you are an out-of-state applicant for Berkeley (I presume that "OOS" stands for "out-of-state"). Are you an out-of-state applicant for Cornell as well?

You did mention that cost is not an issue, but if you can get tuition savings from attending one versus another, that's something worth thinking about.

Otherwise, both schools are about equivalent in terms of quality of the education.

Likes llha
When I attended, the private schools (Arch Hotel Eng and A&S) in the Cornell universe had a single tuition regardless of in or out of state. One of my favorite parts of Cornell is the odd mix of state (Ag, ILR, Hum Ec, more?) and private divisions. I presume this still exists.

Likes llha

What are the main differences between UC Berkeley and Cornell?

UC Berkeley and Cornell are both highly prestigious universities, but they have some key differences. UC Berkeley is a public university located in California, while Cornell is a private university located in New York. UC Berkeley is known for its strong programs in engineering and computer science, while Cornell is known for its excellent programs in agriculture and hotel management. Additionally, UC Berkeley has a larger student population and a more diverse campus, while Cornell has a smaller, more close-knit community.

Which university has a better reputation?

Both UC Berkeley and Cornell have excellent reputations and are highly ranked in various college rankings. UC Berkeley is consistently ranked as one of the top public universities in the country, while Cornell is consistently ranked as one of the top private universities. Ultimately, the reputation of a university can vary depending on the field of study and individual experiences, so it is important to do further research and consider personal preferences when making a decision.

What are the tuition costs for each university?

Tuition costs can vary depending on a student's residency status and chosen program of study. As a public university, UC Berkeley generally has lower tuition costs for in-state students compared to out-of-state students. On the other hand, Cornell's tuition is the same for all students regardless of residency. It is important to also consider additional costs such as housing, meal plans, and fees when comparing the overall cost of attendance for each university.

Which university has a better campus and student life?

Both UC Berkeley and Cornell have beautiful campuses and offer a variety of opportunities for students to get involved in extracurricular activities and clubs. UC Berkeley has a more urban campus, while Cornell has a more rural campus. It is important to consider personal preferences and interests when evaluating the campus and student life at each university.

What are the job and career prospects for graduates of each university?

Both UC Berkeley and Cornell have strong reputations and connections in various industries, making them both great options for career prospects. UC Berkeley's location in the Bay Area provides opportunities for students to network and potentially secure jobs in the tech industry, while Cornell's location in New York offers opportunities in various fields such as finance, hospitality, and agriculture. Ultimately, the job and career prospects for graduates will depend on individual skills, experiences, and networking efforts.