Ubuntu 14.04 & Windows VNC Program

In summary, the bug in Ubuntu 14.04 means that usual VNC software can't connect to the machine, but there are two freeware options that can work. One is Windows-based and the other is a Linux app that can be SSH'ed into.
StevieTNZ
Hi there

A while back I updated Ubuntu to version 14.04. Before this, I could connect to the machine through TightVNC from my Windows 8.1 laptop.

However after the upgrade things didn't run smoothly. It is now a known bug that usual VNC software can't connect to Ubuntu 14.04 because it uses security TLS type (18), which TightVNC doesn't support.

My question is: is there any freeware available (for Windows) that does the job like TightVNC, but supports TLS security type 18?

The bug I report is mentioned https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/vino/ bug/1281250

Many thanks for any assistance
Stevie

Computer science news on Phys.org
Whew I was a bit worried when I saw the subject line as I too felt stuck with VNC, knowing it was "dirty" but have no viable alternatives. Congrats on seeking a solid alternative. I think you may find this to your liking - https://www.nomachine.com/

enorbet said:
Whew I was a bit worried when I saw the subject line as I too felt stuck with VNC, knowing it was "dirty" but HAD no viable alternatives. Congrats on seeking a solid alternative. I think you may find this to your liking - https://www.nomachine.com/

Please forgive the self-quote. I'm a beast with a text editor but a fumbler with "rich-text" and maybe forum conventions. I merely wished to edit my post to change a mistake in tense and could see no other way to accomplish this (no longer showed an "edit" button). What method is right and proper or is there a time limit on edits?

BOT - Hope most followed the link to NOMACHINE... it is quite good.

Yes, I know the exact solution you are looking for.

Windows has a built-in server and client called Remote Desktop Connection. It works similar to VNC and forwards the whole graphics system.

XRDP is an open source server for this protocol. I don't really use it, but I tested it out and installed it on my Ubuntu server and it works fine. My server doesn't have X or a desktop manager installed, so I cannot speak from experience how well it works connecting to a unity or KDE plasma desktop, but it is able to give me the basic X-server environment (a terminal and opening windows) on my Windows Devices.

The other option I know of off the top of my head is to SSH into the Linux box using something like MobiXTerm. You should be able to start and forward the entire desktop from the command line, though I am not sure how quick X-forwarding would be in that case, especially if you are not on a gigabit network but rather using something like Wifi.

Hello Stevie,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I understand the importance of having reliable and secure methods of connecting to different operating systems for research and data analysis purposes.

It is unfortunate that the upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 has caused compatibility issues with TightVNC. However, there are other VNC programs available that support TLS security type 18, such as RealVNC and UltraVNC.

RealVNC is a popular VNC program that offers a free version for personal use and a paid version for commercial use. It supports TLS security and is compatible with both Windows and Ubuntu. UltraVNC is another option that is open-source and free to use. It also supports TLS security and has been reported to work well with Ubuntu 14.04.

I suggest trying out these alternatives to see which one works best for your needs. Additionally, you can also report this bug to the developers of TightVNC in hopes of a future update that will support TLS security type 18.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is Ubuntu 14.04?

Ubuntu 14.04 is an operating system based on the Linux kernel and developed by Canonical. It is a free and open-source software, and is designed to be user-friendly and customizable.

2. What is a VNC program?

VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is a graphical desktop sharing system that allows you to remotely control another computer. It enables users to access and use the desktop environment of a remote computer over a network connection.

3. How do I install a VNC program on Ubuntu 14.04?

To install a VNC program on Ubuntu 14.04, you can use the built-in software center or use the command line. The most commonly used VNC program for Ubuntu is called "TightVNC". To install it, open the terminal and type "sudo apt-get install tightvncserver".

4. How do I use VNC to connect to a Windows computer?

To connect to a Windows computer using VNC, you will need to have a VNC server installed on the Windows computer. You can use a program called "RealVNC" or "TightVNC" on the Windows computer. Once the server is installed, you can use a VNC client on Ubuntu 14.04 to connect to the Windows computer by entering the IP address or hostname of the Windows computer.

5. Can I transfer files using VNC between Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows?

Yes, you can transfer files between Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows using VNC. Some VNC programs, such as RealVNC, have a built-in file transfer feature. If your VNC program does not have this feature, you can use a file transfer protocol (FTP) client, such as FileZilla, to transfer files between the two systems.